• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Furlough the players to avoid a cashflow crisis

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
1. Well, if you consider that most of the owners of PL clubs are not fat cats then so be it. They're hardly poor, are they?
Why can't they contribute? For many of them a billion dollars is a drop in the ocean
2. I'm sure PL players will contribute something. Many of them do charitable work and realize that they are lucky. Give them time to sort something out. But I don't see why they should be especially targeted, especially by the pathletic Health Minister. Weak attempt at deflectiion by him.
3. None of us wants City players to suffer or the club to suffer, but it should be the PL, FA and League that organize this and cough up themselves. I repeat, the players will deal with this
I'm not sure the evidence suggests that the players will 'deal with it' As John says, they seem to be hiding behind a desire to view the financial circumstances of the clubs before they make a move. It's self evident, whether its Chelsea or Cheltenham, that revenue has completely dried up, so you are suggesting that owners use their funds whilst arguing that players should still be paid at the normal level...If owners should dip into their funds (I don't disagree) then why is it not reasonable for players to accept a little pain too?

IndoMike

My posts 51 & 59 reflect my opinion Malcs.
I have no reason to change it

ex_user1234

Resigned
I wish I shared your optimism.

I hope you are right and that there is something in place soon, but it doesn't look promising so far. The problem seems to be that there are 3000+ players all of whose circumstances are different, from PL players with long watertight contracts for millions of pounds a year to L2 players on minimum wage or not much more, as some of our young lads presumably are.

The PFA statement is full of warm words but no action. It mainly asks players to wait and the club owners to pay staff before asking players to help.

"In instances where clubs have the resources to pay all staff, the benefit of players paying non-playing staff salaries will only serve the business of the club’s shareholders."

They seem to be suggesting that no player makes an individual gesture before the PFA have seen the financial position of all the clubs and decided on the overall line. Perhaps sound policy, but seems a bit tin-eared in current circumstances.

John - I have even less optimism. Let's face it, the PFA are calling the shots, not ECFC. We're just dancing to their tune. And every day that goes by we throw away ten grand. Im afraid to say there will come a point where the Club's position of not furloughing the players strays into negligence, given we are a loss-making business with an ever decreasing pot of cash, an income stream that may not kick in again this year because of social distancing policies on mass gatherings, and a society in deep recession with little disposable income to spend on going to the football. If we go bust later in the year or next year, there will be some very hard questions asked of the directors on the board.

malcolms

My posts 51 & 59 reflect my opinion Malcs.
I have no reason to change it
Your prerogative....

Spoonz Red E

John - I have even less optimism. Let's face it, the PFA are calling the shots, not ECFC. We're just dancing to their tune. And every day that goes by we throw away ten grand. Im afraid to say there will come a point where the Club's position of not furloughing the players strays into negligence, given we are a loss-making business with an ever decreasing pot of cash, an income stream that may not kick in again this year because of social distancing policies on mass gatherings, and a society in deep recession with little disposable income to spend on going to the football. If we go bust later in the year or next year, there will be some very hard questions asked of the directors on the board.
Have the Club announced they don't intend or wish to furlough players?

It's my understanding that for a player to be furloughed he/she has to sign up to it.

This is the advice they have from the PFA.
"The PFA requested to see each club's financial situation before we offer advice to players on whether to accept the terms offered ....
Before accepting or signing any paperwork from your club, it is vitally important that squads collectively discuss proposals with the PFA."

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Seems the Premier League is providing £125m for clubs in the EFL and National League:

No idea how much City may get, but, plainly, this has to help our financial situation.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Seems the Premier League is providing £125m for clubs in the EFL and National League:

No idea how much City may get, but, plainly, this has to help our financial situation.
Good news. But as usual read the words, not the spin. Actually their statement says "advance" clubs, not "give"...

"Critically, the League unanimously voted to advance funds of £125 million to the EFL and National League as it is aware of the severe difficulties clubs throughout the football pyramid are suffering at this time. "

IndoMike

I'm gonna guess :
75m Champs
35m One
15m Two

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm gonna guess :
75m Champs
35m One
15m Two
Could be worse than that. In 2018/19 it was £79.1M : 16.1 : 11.2 for the £106.3M solidarity payments, but you'd hope that with some imagination this may not be strictly followed in current circumstances, some clubs are in more dire cashflow crises than others.

Also some is going to the National League.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
The brilliant Marina Hyde on football's role in all this: