• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Finishing the season.

Boyo

I desperately hope I'm wrong, but I think we need to prepare for the idea that we're not going to see any football for over a year, probably longer.

It's difficult to see how many Clubs will be able to continue to pay wages.

malcolms

Very well known Exeweb poster
I desperately hope I'm wrong, but I think we need to prepare for the idea that we're not going to see any football for over a year, probably longer.

It's difficult to see how many Clubs will be able to continue to pay wages.
Why would you think that...?

Boyo

Why would you think that...?
Because the modelling suggests that the current situation could last that long.

malcolms

I'm sure of one thing and that is that no one knows for sure...There are many models and some see it being impacted by the Summer heat in Europe and dying back to perhaps re emerge next Winter. The reality is that IF this is not resolved by October and carries on into next year, then the social damage will be far beyond any specific concerns for the football industry...

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm already going off my nut homeworking and having nothing to plan for or look forward to

Spoonz Red E

I can see e-sports getting a boost over the coming few months.

Ian Russon

It sounds wrong but maybe this will be a valuable lesson to all sports. Football players are over paid by millions, clubs risk things like this by having a 2 million pound wage bill per week. Maybe if a few of the bigger clubs struggle they'll bring in a wage cap.

Boyo

I'm sure of one thing and that is that no one knows for sure...There are many models and some see it being impacted by the Summer heat in Europe and dying back to perhaps re emerge next Winter. The reality is that IF this is not resolved by October and carries on into next year, then the social damage will be far beyond any specific concerns for the football industry...
Indeed. Hopefully we'll see some kind of normality in the summer, but even if that transpires it's easy to argue that social distancing will continue for a long time.

Banksy

It sounds wrong but maybe this will be a valuable lesson to all sports. Football players are over paid by millions, clubs risk things like this by having a 2 million pound wage bill per week. Maybe if a few of the bigger clubs struggle they'll bring in a wage cap.
Yes , the Premiership has got too big for its boots literally. A hard way to find out a few home truths though. Sad for the little clubs too with no tv income buffer and just gates to rely on.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Which modelling is that?

Trouble is, it appears that all the modelling is being done on a very weak statistical basis as we have insufficient reliable data on the real numbers infected, how, or when they were infected. Or in the case of deaths whether some, many or most they would have died anyway from underlying conditions.

Also, the reality is that the measures being taken to isolate people will at some point mean that the people dying or being seriously impacted by the cancellation of operations, inability to travel, neglect and other unintended consequences of isolation will need to be weighed against the impacts of the virus itself.