• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

FGR (Vegans) Vs Exeter City Match Day Thread

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
In my first job after leaving school I had the pleasure of meeting robin Stubbs,our boss was from brum and villa mad,so the talk turned to football and graham Parker’s name came up,robin Stubbs said Parker was a very good footballer who had the dark arts about him !
DPS : Perhaps we should mention for some of our younger posters that Robin Stubbs was a Torquay striker and a bit of a golden boy round about the late 60's when Torquay had a very good team. They got promoted to the old 3rd division and did very well for a couple of seasons. If I remember correctly they brought in some veteran West Ham players like John Bond, Ken Brown, Tony Scott and also had players like John Benson and Jim Fryatt.
Frank O'Farrell got the job as Manchester United manager based on his performance at Torquay, although he didn't last long there. Similar situation to Moyes : replacing Matt Busby.
Probably the best ever couple of years Torquay ever had.

dontpassback

DPS : Perhaps we should mention for some of our younger posters that Robin Stubbs was a Torquay striker and a bit of a golden boy round about the late 60's when Torquay had a very good team. They got promoted to the old 3rd division and did very well for a couple of seasons. If I remember correctly they brought in some veteran West Ham players like John Bond, Ken Brown, Tony Scott and also had players like John Benson and Jim Fryatt.
Frank O'Farrell got the job as Manchester United manager based on his performance at Torquay, although he didn't last long there. Similar situation to Moyes : replacing Matt Busby.
Probably the best ever couple of years Torquay ever had.
Yes sorry indo I do tend to forget that a lot of our younger crew might not have a scooby who robin Stubbs was ! He was also married to anthea red fern I do believe

STURTZ

Imaging being passed over for Bruce Forsythe!

IndoMike

Yes sorry indo I do tend to forget that a lot of our younger crew might not have a scooby who robin Stubbs was ! He was also married to anthea red fern I do believe
No.need to say sorry, DPB. It just brought back some memories for me. My dad was football crazy and took me all over the place watching footie, including several trips to watch night games at Torquay.
Yes, I think you're right about Stubbs and Anthea Redfearn. They were the Beckham and Posh Spice of the English Mediterranean 😅

PeteUSA

We had our own pretty boy in the early 60's too, Adrian Thorne, signed from Brighton.

iscalad

In my first job after leaving school I had the pleasure of meeting robin Stubbs,our boss was from brum and villa mad,so the talk turned to football and graham Parker’s name came up,robin Stubbs said Parker was a very good footballer who had the dark arts about him !
Graham will be at the Park next Friday afternoon
Come and meet him.

STURTZ

Wonder if Fred Binney's Head will attend?

iscalad

Wonder if Fred Binney's Head will attend?
He's driving

Colesman Ballz

We had our own pretty boy in the early 60's too, Adrian Thorne, signed from Brighton.
Oh no he didn't, fake news ! He may have started his career with Brighton, but signed for City in Dec 1963 from PLYMOUTH ARGYLE ! His first goal for City was at Brighton on Boxing Day at the Goldstone Ground. Two days later in the return match at SJP he famously missed a sitter in the 0-0 draw. As described previously on these boards, he dribbled unopposed from the half way line, rounded their keeper and inexplicably slotted the ball wide in front of a packed Big Bank.

CWH-NYC_

No.need to say sorry, DPB. It just brought back some memories for me. My dad was football crazy and took me all over the place watching footie, including several trips to watch night games at Torquay.
Yes, I think you're right about Stubbs and Anthea Redfearn. They were the Beckham and Posh Spice of the English Mediterranean 😅
Sure brings back memories, forgotten about Stubbs. Becks and Posh less a few zeros in the bank account.