• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

FGR v Exeter City Matchday Thread

TimG

Sounds as though it wads a fairly entertaining match with a fair few chances from each side. Was there no Logie about today? Good to see this morgan has impressed and hopefully could be a great signing as ever from the great and wonderful lord tis

heathy1

Very well known Exeweb poster
Logan has a slight injury and was rested today

TimG

Logan has a slight injury and was rested today
arh thats not to bad then hope he will be ok for leeds.

crocks

God help us next week. If City play that poorly at Elland Road, we will be murdered.

Started

Tulls, Taylor, Seaborne, Golbourne

Sercombe, Edwards, Russell, Harley, Cozic

Dean Morgan

I'll start up front.

Morgan - young lad, could/should have had 3. Had a glorious chance when put clean through by Harley, with the keeper backpeddling, all he had to do was pick his spot and hit the post. Young and raw and definitely not good enough for L1.

Harley had a great first half (even made some tackles) but faded as the game went on. Same can be said fro Sercombe. Russell started poorly but got into the game more in the second half - but City have far better centre midfield players than him. Edwards is horribly out of his depth. Ok in defence, but alas in midfield - dreadful. Cozic was busy and had a pretty good game. Taylor was fine but you have a heart attack every time Seaborne touches the ball. Golbourne - not impressed and Tulls had a pretty good game.

The overwhelming star for City was Paul Jones. He had to make several world class saves against the mighty FGR to keep it at 0-0. The only player for us that looked like a L1 player.

First substitutions were made after 25 mins in the second half. Why leave it so late when clearly the team were struggling. Corr provided a bit more nouse up front. Macca was disappointing. And its clear that Troy and Manny have to start next Saturday as they were clearly the best outfield players. Nelly was a bit anonymous when he came on.

City were far better after Edwards and Russell went off and Burnell and Dunne came into the midfield - at last we had a bit of pace and urgency there.

All in all, City were poor and I'm not sure that Tis knows what side he is going to put out next Saturday. I just know that it will contain Edwards and Russell - God help us.

information_ministry

Well-known Exeweb poster
Doooooooooooomed!

i_m

Well-known Exeweb poster
thanks mate

hopefully pt will sort it out for next weekend

7 days!!! 4ish on the training ground.

ive got a sneaking suspicion this season is going to prove very very difficult.

ecfc2000

just got back from the match and i must say i was very unimpressed with our performance. On paper, we looked like a team who could and should be beating FGR confortably but we were infact on the recieving end for 70% of the match.

Started ok, Harley showing what he can do best and really controlled midfield...for a short time. FGR got into the game and put the pressure on creating a number of opportunities to score and if i weren't for Jones fantastic saves we could have been 2-0 down come H/T.

Second half FRG continued to put pressure on. Stonehouse was having a great game for them expoliting our weaknesses (mainly Russell!) in midfield. Many changes made towards the end. Russell and Edwards coming off for both Dunne and Burnell, with the later being outstanding. These changes changed the game and we had more possesion and started the pass the ball around a lot more, just a shame it was too little too late.

Russell. Good god, what Tis see's in him i just don't know. I must be missing something here. His performance was uninspiring and amateur to say the least. Never got involved in the game and when he did, his passing was generally poor. Only after him going off did we play better. Wouldn't make the bench next Sat in my eye's, i predict Tis will start him.

Golbourne? Undecided. Looked slow, unfit, however, did pass the ball reasonably well and got into space/forward when attacking.

Morgan. Looked good, quick ,strong, had 3 chances to score and missed all 3 in the first half. Might have blown his chances on a deal. We'll have to see.

Tully, Very good, strong, has to start against Leeds.

Harley, outstanding. Created most of our attacking opportunities through intelligent passing and creative football.

Sercombe. Had a good game.

Corr looked sharp, passed the ball well and his touch was excellent.

Burnell. Excellent as was Panther.

Edwards. Useful at times, held the defence together, typical Edwards style. Could do a job against Leeds. (COULD!!)

Jonah. Fantastic, solid as a rock, didnt put a foot wrong, made 4-5 amazing saves which were all goal bound at 300mph. (PeteUSA take not).

Cant remember much else regarding other players performances, got bored and nearly nodded off a couple of time. Luckily FGR kept me awake.

Cant have been many more than 50 City fans there.

Midland Red

Have to agree with most of what Crocks has posted. Rob Edwards has been a wonderful player for our club and we owe him a great deal but I am very worried about his mobility now. If he is going to be caught out by the FGR midfield God knows what Delph will do to him. I have similar concerns about Mat Taylor's mobility too. Golbourne looks like he ought to be quick but isn't and Russell wasn't really at the races for most of the time he was on the pitch.
Ryan had a good game (met his dad after the match) as did Liam and Jonah who was much too busy but shouting a lot and commanding the box. As Crocks has said - excellent saves. Again much more energy in midfield when Dunne, Burnell and Manny came on. I would have liked to have seen them before the 83rd minute, however! If we had started with the team that finished the game I think we would have won comfortably.
Fair play to FGR though they were up for it and played well. Good club and hope they do well.

Mike Blackstone

Morgan - young lad,
He's 25-years-old, 26 in October.

crocks

He's 25-years-old, 26 in October.
Oh dear.

Then I would suggest that he is never going to make it, certainly not at L1.

Sometimes City passed it well this afternoon, but most of the time it was like those 11 players had only just met.

Embarrisingly poor at times.