• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Fair Play

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
A bit different from previous seasons, we're second badly behaved to Crawley!

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/discipline/fairplay

scottus86

We have been given a lot of strange yellow cards this season maybe 4 or 5 have made me wonder what it was for.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
To be fair 5 of our yellows came in the game that the Cowley brothers were allowed to officiate. ;)

Very true Grecian2K !

Terryhall

To be fair 5 of our yellows came in the game that the Cowley brothers were allowed to officiate. ;)
Even without those, we'd still be 6th...

Personally I don't mind us being a bit less "proper", but I do wonder whether we'll regret, in particular, the two cautions for handball in the area against MK Dons (notwithstanding the penalties conceded), the 4 (4!) cautions for dissent v Lincoln, etc. Silly bookings don't tend to change much for a particular match, but they add up and in the worst case scenario we could end up missing players through suspension at the business end of the season, due to soft cards picked up today.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
"The hardest thing it is, you'll see,
to bribe a British referee.
But if you manage Lincoln (two),
There's really no occasion to!"

Fareham Grecian

"The hardest thing it is, you'll see,
to bribe a British referee.
But if you manage Lincoln (two),
There's really no occasion to!"
Post of the year. Great work.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
How does that work then because its showing that lot down the road have only had 1 red card in 10 games ? are the FA picking and choosing which games now.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is there a vacancy for the poet laureat.

I see that our previous proper chap's current side picked up 4 yellows last night and had to substitute one of his players as he was likely to get a second yellow the way he was playing. That puts them now up to 92 points having only played 11 games to our 12.

I do agree though that some of the yellows are silly and it does frustrate me when you see players aimlessly kicking a ball away once play has stopped as they risk getting a needless yellow depending how pedantic the ref is.

And finally what real comparison is this league when we all know what a variance in refereeing ability and decisions there is at this level.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
And finally what real comparison is this league when we all know what a variance in refereeing ability and decisions there is at this level.
I suppose it balances out as theoretically every team will have matches reffed by refs across the gamut from ultra-lenient to card-happy.

One thing that is perhaps evident is that where once reputation would count for something, now it is less evident - I felt back before our spell in the Conference we were often very hard done by on account of previous disciplinary issues, where we'd get carded for fairly mundane challenges while far more dangerous challenges against us would go unpunished. That could *partly* be the usual myopia associated with supporting a club, mind!