• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

FA Cup 18/19

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
No pyro, no party seemed to be the FAs line today.

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Gomes is bad news for Watford. When I saw he was in goal I didnt have much hope. I watched him struggling and scrambling about until they were 2-0 down and thought bugger this! I couldnt stand any more! That Man City keeper is overated too. When he came off his line early on for a one on one; they were were classing it as a wondersave! All he did was that DeGea starfish thing that Pym's cottoned on to! No guts! Totally wrong approach!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
That early save was crucial to the result of the game. The keeper's job is to keep the ball out of the net, he did that.

PeteUSA

That early save was crucial to the result of the game. The keeper's job is to keep the ball out of the net, he did that.
I know he did. But theres a right and a wrong way to approach an incoming forward, and his was wrong but he got lucky. The ball hit his spread-out leg when he knew nothing about it. A totally lucky save. The ball could have just as easy gone between his legs FFS! And up and coming keepers like Pym see that and think its the correct approach; makes me sick.

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

Pete, are you going to tell Peter Schmichael, probably the best goalkeeper in the world at the time, that his technique was all wrong as he was one of the pioneers of the starfish block which he picked up from playing Handball (iirc).

Alistair20000

I know he did. But theres a right and a wrong way to approach an incoming forward, and his was wrong but he got lucky. The ball hit his spread-out leg when he knew nothing about it. A totally lucky save. The ball could have just as easy gone between his legs FFS! And up and coming keepers like Pym see that and think its the correct approach; makes me sick.
Pate: I guess you have not read Bonaparte’s treatise on goalkeeping ?

“I would rather have lucky keepers than good ones”

Antony Moxey

You’d have to be some sort of weapons grade ***** to criticise a goalkeeper who makes a crucial one-on-one save when the scores are level and continues on to finish the game with a clean sheet. He literally could not do any better.