• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter v Chelt'num - Checka-EFL-Leasing.com Trophy - Matchday Thread

tonykellowfan

Great save from Maxted and tidy play from the front players from the highlights. We at last seem to have some strength in depth in the squad.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Att 786 inc 38 away..
Does anyone know whether with a crowd in the hundreds we would have covered our basic overheads yet alone made any money from the attendance

grecianstew

Does anyone know whether with a crowd in the hundreds we would have covered our basic overheads yet alone made any money from the attendance
Doubt that we did, which is presumably why you get £20k just for playing and a further £10k for winning to compensate for the low gate receipts.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Doubt that we did, which is presumably why you get £20k just for playing and a further £10k for winning to compensate for the low gate receipts.
I dunno, 800 mostly adults and mostly in the stand, approaching £5K in gate receipts, plus food and drink sales. Only the BB and IP stand open, the floodlights don't cost as much as people imagine, and stewarding costs will have been modest. I'd think we've broken even.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The 360 view

Grecianpasty

I'm glad ajose got his goal. Bit by bit there is improvement. But his stamina is far below what I'd imagine MT would want from any of his players.

Seymour reminds me a lot like T Nicholls when he came through the system. Makes some good runs, clearly has the attributes of a goalscoring forward but lacks the physical nature needed for league Two football.

Fisher is a real worry. I have sympathy with him in terms of match time, but his performances in this game and the Coventry game leave a lot to be desired.

Tilson, Jay and Jake on the midfield three where comfortable and seemed to enjoy playing alongside each other. I'd be happy for them all to play in a combative league Two game and come out on top, even with Jay in there.

Parkes and Warren look like an old school centre back pairing. Put them up against a bit of pace and they would be screwed. Warren could easily have given away a couple of penalties this evening.

i8cornwall

The EFL have a fund to cover any loses to clubs from hosting games in this joke of a competition, though I'm not sure we have ever had to use this fund in the past.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
BBC website doesn't give attendances of the games last night, but other lower than ours. FGR had 653, Macclesfield 525 on a quick flick through the net

We had a bright spell when Fisher went off, & we suddenly had a bit of pace & movement up front. Williams, in particular, looked very lively when he came on - doubtless because he was playing down the left in a more or less free attacking role, rather than being stuck primarilly with defending duties down the right flank; but possibly also because Cheltenham offered a less imposingly physical presence than Mansfield.

Of the three kids, Key looked the most promising - Chrisene didn't have enough time on the pitch to touch the ball, never mind make an impact. The slight disappointment was Richardson - not sure Sweeney has anything to worry about quite yet (Richardson lacks the phsyical stature of Kane Wilson, & whilst he clearly has pace, he still looks very raw - certainly nothing like as ready for 1st team football as Sparkes, for instance).

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Of the three kids, Key looked the most promising - Chrisene didn't have enough time on the pitch to touch the ball, never mind make an impact. The slight disappointment was Richardson - not sure Sweeney has anything to worry about quite yet (Richardson lacks the phsyical stature of Kane Wilson, & whilst he clearly has pace, he still looks very raw - certainly nothing like as ready for 1st team football as Sparkes, for instance).
Interesting comparison between Sparkes and Richardson. They are the same age but one has played most of a season of men's non-league football whereas I think Richardson had never played a senior game at any level before joining us. If he is going to come into the team for anyone it will probably be for Williams not Sweeney but it sounds like Key could be the better bet to fill the right wing-back role.