• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Women 2019/20 Season

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Thanks Spoonz, Good to see it especially the table. Looks like we've no problems upfront but tend to concede quite a few, Be nice if someone in the coaching team could help them out a bit with that

andrew p long

Oh do FRO with that. It's extremely tedious reading this over and over again. You behaved like this when you were last banned (3 times) from Exeweb.
Doesn’t Exeweb have a ‘three strikes and you’re out’ policy?

And if it doesn’t, shouldn’t it have?

Arthur Davey

You will always get comparisons. Danny's continuing argument is about opening SJP for the women's side to play every week. ECFC are a professional club. To open the ground is going to cost money in terms of the general running of the ground. That means having enough paying customers to make it viable and there simply isn't enough to do so because of the popularity or lack of. He points to the Premier League clubs allowing their women's sides to play at The Etihad, The Emirates etc, etc. They have the financial scope to bankroll any potential loss because of the income of their make counterparts. ECFC aren't big enough to cope with that. The Trust aren't financially strong enough to swallow the cost. As I said on my post earlier, youth games attract bigger crowds and most of those are played at The Cat and Fiddle with the exception of the national cup matches. Until that gap reduces there will always be comparisons and that before you start on the comparisons of style and speed if the respective games.
Precisely this. A bit of context below:
"The logistics of playing two professional teams in the same stadium is so tight. We probably couldn't realistically do that." Nick Crushing, Man City Women's team manager.

"We felt that we would get a bumper crowd if we played [the first Manchester derby in the professional era of the game] at the Etihad, and obviously with the crowd that we did have, that justified the decision.
"But realistically we will carry on playing at the Academy Stadium and we will aim to fill that 7,000 capacity stadium out first before we even start talking about playing on a regular basis within the Etihad."
Head of women's football at City, Gavin Makel.

Dannyred

Precisely this. A bit of context below:
"The logistics of playing two professional teams in the same stadium is so tight. We probably couldn't realistically do that." Nick Crushing, Man City Women's team manager.

"We felt that we would get a bumper crowd if we played [the first Manchester derby in the professional era of the game] at the Etihad, and obviously with the crowd that we did have, that justified the decision.
"But realistically we will carry on playing at the Academy Stadium and we will aim to fill that 7,000 capacity stadium out first before we even start talking about playing on a regular basis within the Etihad."
Head of women's football at City, Gavin Makel.
At Chelsea today and it was an amazing apnosphere with a stunning goal. Not the best of games but over 25,000 fans seemed to enjoy it. Looking forward to Spurs v Arsenal women at White hart lane which could beat records.

Sad city women lost today, still 4th in the league.

UTCW

IndoMike

I understand several have privately expressed a desire to have SJP as their home and be treated equally. :censored:

I think we're reading different posts, Mike. I'd say Danny's main gripe is the misogyny, the lack of awareness as to how difficult it is for girls to be free to play football, bullying of girls who play football or express a wish to do so, etc etc. The desire to have ECFC Women players treated the same as male players, to have SJP as their home - after all, they use the ECFC name, badge, and brand. - is just one positive way the club could help recognise and overcome the (many) problems women still face in football. Assuming, of course, ECFC were serious about being a family club and not just using the term as a cynical marketing ploy.
Rae. Firstly, because someone doesn't agree that the women's matches shouldn't be played regularly at SJP it doesn't mean that they are misogynists. That is a cheap shot argument intended to shut up the poster with that view. I know you're not doing that, but some are. But I'm not denying that misogyny exists.
My only concern is that we have had so many problems with our pitch in recent years that I fear overuse might screw it up again. This is one of the reasons why City don't use it for training purposes. Imagine if the women shared the pitch and the pitch got screwed up for any reason - then many would blame the women's team.
I watched the WWC regularly, but that is the highest possible level. But how many people would turn up on a wet and windy night to watch?
You can't so easily dismiss the quality argument : attendances at football matches are commensurate with the quality on show, as in all sports. Do you think three hundred thousand people
would show up to watch me and my mates play golf at St Andrews for 3 days? If more people are to attend women's matches then women's football has to earn that support. I'm sure they don't want people to show up because they feel sorry for them.

I agree that the club should do its utmost to promote the women's game and if they can find a permanent home for the women's team in Exeter that would be great.
Also, Spoonz's idea of having the occasional game at SJP combined with a fun day seems a very good idea. But regular matches at SJP : I don't think so.
As always, I'm just giving my honest opinion here, unlike some who change their minds according to which way the wind is blowing.

DB9

At Chelsea today and it was an amazing apnosphere with a stunning goal. Not the best of games but over 25,000 fans seemed to enjoy it. Looking forward to Spurs v Arsenal women at White hart lane which could beat records.

Sad city women lost today, still 4th in the league.

UTCW
Most tickets were given away, In fact it was billed as a sell out with nearly 40,000 tickets but only just over half turned up, to put it into perspective Everton played Birmingham with under 1000 watching. The crowds made headlines for sure but to me it was a gimmick when on an international break, Think the women's game deserves better

Dannyred

Most tickets were given away, In fact it was billed as a sell out with nearly 40,000 tickets but only just over half turned up, to put it into perspective Everton played Birmingham with under 1000 watching. The crowds made headlines for sure but to me it was a gimmick when on an international break, Think the women's game deserves better
Nobody has mentioned the top quality goals this weekend, oh yes women's football is of a poor standard.

grecIAN Harris

Nobody has mentioned the top quality goals this weekend, oh yes women's football is of a poor standard.

Because it's not City related and nobody is really that bothered about it.

Dannyred

Or that posters like you have said that women’s football is of poor quality.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Daniel, Hants set this thread up to discuss Exeter City women. If you want to set up a separate thread to discuss women's football in general, similar to the league two thread, then why don't you it's not hard, and then perhaps there could be two women's threads going, three if you set up one for your pet subject (but I have a feeling that one won't last long)