• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Cheltenham Town Matchday Thread

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Talk about a game of two halves, and what a turnaround in the second! Cheltenham thoroughly deserved to go into the break ahead and it might have been by more than one had the ref not missed a number of indiscretions on our part, not least what looked like a stonewall penalty early on.

The second half however was a completely different story with a stunning Sweeney strike from distance leveling up straight after the restart, Law and Boateng - the two best players on the pitch by a country mile - combined for Stockley to score from a sharp angle at the near post then Forte rounding things off with a run from the half way line on his own to sublimely bend the ball round the keeper as cool as you like.

MotM is a difficult one though. Boateng and Law were the standout candidates, Croll had one of his best games in a City shirt and looked comfortable alongside a very good Aaron Martin. Sweeney got his third in two home games and Forte made the attack look dangerous and relentless however there can only be one and that has to go to Matt Taylor for whatever he said at half time. That more than anything else led to the win, well, that and taking Lee Martin off.

Dubai Grecian

Don't think I've seen a worse 1st half from City for a long, long time. It was obvious that Cheltenham weren't all that but they looked better than us! Keeping them to 0 1 at HT was quite good. How many goals will Moxey give away before we start questioning his first team spot. Second half we pushed them and were lucky enough to get an early equaliser, Sweeny, love the man. Then the game became the routine win it should have always been. Forte took up his right full place beside Stockley whilst Boateng (my Mom) dropped back but stayed central.
Thought Croll did well and Lee Martin isnt very good.
Good result in the end woo, come on you reds!
I suspect Matt Taylor learned something today, trust your teams's ability. Playing one up front, at home, and then two wide men but just hit long balls forward is not a good game plan.

Second half we played more football in the first five mins than we did the previous forty five.

PeteUSA

Talk about a game of two halves, and what a turnaround in the second! Cheltenham thoroughly deserved to go into the break ahead and it might have been by more than one had the ref not missed a number of indiscretions on our part, not least what looked like a stonewall penalty early on.
I agree that looked a nailed on penalty in the first half, I was really waiting for the ref to point to the spot! Andrew Barge said the ref had a perfect view of that and must have got the decision right. He might have been in close proximity but he had nothing like a perfect view given that he was running up behind the attacker. Nobody appealed, which was astonishing. I think we got away with one there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Jan Yeo

Well-known Exeweb poster
not least what looked like a stonewall penalty early on.
Yep, absolutely nailed on. Ref clearly bottled it, in that situation and to give a goal kick but no card for a dive is just a sign of bottling it. Got lucky with that one.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
How differently people see the same game , I thought at half time it really was a 50/50 game and could go either way for the second half.
Thankfully Law seemed to run his socks off and deservedly got MoM the guy was all over the place and with City having the edge in the second half and eventually coming out on top.

Just as good was when Charlton scored to put the scum down 2-1 late on all round a brilliant day although a little wet.

UTC.

Fareham Grecian

I agree that looked a nailed on penalty in the first half, I was really waiting for the ref to point to the spot! Andrew Barge said the ref had a perfect view of that and must have got the decision right. He might have been in close proximity but he had nothing like a perfect view given that he was running up behind the attacker. Nobody appealed, which was astonishing. I think we got away with one there.
You only ever pick the negatives. It seems like you want us to lose.

Exehausted

As others have said a game of two halves. The thing that stands out to me though was Matt Taylor. His switching of Jake and Lee was a good move, Jake mullered their left back. Lee doesn't have pace but I thought he did well in the middle and he ran himself into the ground. I would have taken him off 10 minutes earlier, but if he is going to play it has to be in a middle three, he just isn't quick enough on the wing. Then when we went 2 1 up he was screaming at the defence to get up the field and not sit back. He was very animated today and he really got the players going in the second half. Keep pushing forward after going in front was such a change. Cheltenhan, despite their League position, were no mugs. Even after the shock of the early equaliser they still tried to get at us. Yes they got a lot of men behind ball but they broke very quickly. For me their number six had a great game and it was never comfortable until we got the third. Once Jon Forte won the ball I never thought he would miss. Finally, the £40,000 spent on the pitch was money well spent, the pitch was fantastic. There was a little splashing in the left hand corner by the away fans, but what a fantastic surface after all the rain we've had. If the pitch holds up well during the winter, we have the players to play fast, passing football, so I would spend £40,000 every year to give the players the chance to play like that in the second half.

fred binneys head

PeteUSA

You only ever pick the negatives. It seems like you want us to lose.
Hello, you got time on your hands?

Great result. Must have been a great team talk from MT. Keeps the points coming and momentum is building.