• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Blackpool FA Cup Round 1 matchday thread

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Lots of heavy rain in the last 24 hours should maje it a quick surface, incredibly the ground is not yet muddy due to the driest summer on record.

Think Blackpool will be too much for us though. I hope we dont see Jay or Martin but I suspect both will play.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Lots of heavy rain in the last 24 hours should maje it a quick surface, incredibly the ground is not yet muddy due to the driest summer on record.

Think Blackpool will be too much for us though. I hope we dont see Jay or Martin but I suspect both will play.
Matt Jay didn't feature in Thursday's U23 squad, so I suspect he'll be starting today.

Last edited:

David Treharne

A whopping 12mm of rain in the last 24 hours with a southerly wind that has abated in the last couple of hours. It's 12c but feels colder than that. Cloud cover has varied from 25-80% grey cloud cover in the last hour. The barometric pressure is steady which could mean that the wind will turn round to SSW some time during the course of the morning. As Snoop observes above the ground will not be muddy although if it rains during the game it may cut up. I'd be fairly certain that there will be showers both during the morning and during the game. Light grey cloud displacing the darker grey from the direction of Haldon Hill. As to the game, who knows? It all depends on who the manager has available - but please don't start with matt Jay.

Update at 13:00

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Will be sitting in the new Grandstand today, only the second time I've ever seen a match from that side of the ground.
I've only ever seen three matches from that side, funnily enough the first being against Blackpool in January 1993, when I was on crutches and had to sit.

We lost that 0-1 but I think we'll better that today, maybe even squeak a win, though I doubt we'll manage a repeat of our 3-0 win over the Seasiders during our glorious League Cup run of 89/90.

David Treharne

Slightly ahead of schedule an update on the weather. At the time of writing there's bright, though watery sunshine though there have been heavy showers in the last two hours. It's 14c, but feels colder, although the wind has subsided but is still blowing from the south. I think there'll probably be showers throughout the afternoon. Still not very optimistic about the outcome of today's game, especially after the performance at Tranmere last week where we were back, for much of the game to playing hoofball at Stockley. He needs support ( and I don't mean matt Jay!)

rustle

Hoofball (devil) why, why, why? It just doesn't work most of the time and even with the injuries and suspensions we can surely make some use of the midfield can't we?

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Team news:

Hamon
Sweeney
Woodman
O'Shea
Croll
Collins
Taylor
Tillson
Law
Stockley
Forte

Subs
Weale
A Martin
Oates
Abrahams
Jay
Dean

No natural width going forward.

Lee Martin doesn't even make the squad ! and where has Lee Holmes gone ?

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
No Arron Martin?

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
No Arron Martin?
No however Aaron Martin is on the bench.

I imagine he is being rested with O'Shea and Croll competing for a starting place next week.

Last edited:

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
No however Aaron Martin is on the bench.

I imagine he is being rested with O'Shea and Croll competing for a starting place next week.
Baffled by the selection. If Croll and O’Shea need a shoot out to decide who partners Martin in centre defence, why not do that in the dead rubber Checkatrade game rather the FACup? I think Aaron Martin must have a knock/bug.

And only six subs listed?