• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City versus Oxford Utd EFL Trophy discussion thread

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
The crux and why I boycott is that the Premier League are involved for one reason only, which is ultimately to get their B teams allowed into the EFL. This would effectively destroy the Football League competition for the fans of every other club. If the format of the league remains unchanged that would mean 20 Clubs pushed into non league, and what would happen to Clubs relegated from the Premier, would they be allowed to maintain B teams. By offering the carrot of money for the competition, which is being gobbled up by struggling clubs, they will make teams reliant on this. In the long term clubs are shooting themselves in the foot by going along with this. Yes it may be good for Matt to play fringe and youth players, but in the long run our major competition the EFL, could be devalued, changed beyond all recognition and rendered totally meaningless ! The Premier League have already devalued the FA Cup and League Cup by putting out carp teams, getting rules changed, to scrap replays, move later round games to midweek etc. They care nothing for fans or supporters of other teams. only themselves. There is so much more to football, than just the wrecking ball of the Premiership, and EFL Clubs should stop and realise that they are "turkeys voting for Xmas".
My thoughts entirely and very well put. The thing that amuses me is that I'm not a true fan if I don't go to these games.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
The thing that amuses me is that I'm not a true fan if I don't go to these games.
Says who?

I get why people boycott this tournament. I also get why people continue to watch games in this tournament (I attended the only time so far we played a game "local" to me since the changes to the format).

Legohead

Banned
The highlight of the match for me was Karl Robinson's 'Accidental Partridge' when trying to get Dan Agyei's attention when he was on the far side of the field. Think it was only eight shouts of "Dan" rather than the full fifteen.
Surely there's more than fifteen?

LOG

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good post CB. Interesting points.

Just say God forbid that B teams were introduced into the EFL. Couldn't the EFL teams pull out of the league and form a new league or something? I'm just pulling daft ideas out of thin air at the moment in order to suggest alternatives if clubs like us didn't want to play ball. If all the EFL clubs did this then the B teams would have to introduce C teams to be able to have any opposition.
The problem with this is that i'd assume it would mean that what money does manage to find its way down from the PL to the EFL would stop and so would be unlikely to be approved by the EFL clubs, the Championship ones in particular.

It would be interesting, although probably not in a good way, to see what happens if/when a European Super League is formed. The EFL would be somewhere near the bottom of the list of concerns they'd have.

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
Says who?

I get why people boycott this tournament. I also get why people continue to watch games in this tournament (I attended the only time so far we played a game "local" to me since the changes to the format).
Not so much on here but certain groups on Facebook. I'm not bothered if people want to go to these games but don't dictate to me what games I can go to.

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Steve Hale had it all worked out before hand regards the Oxford penalty takers.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The 360 version of last night

jrg333

From 7:28 you can hear Dino Visser winding up the opposition before they take their penalties. Best 360 I've ever seen due to that. Looks like he properly got in their head. Confident bloke - has to start on Saturday for me.

Reactions: GJW

CWH-NYC_

Agree, deserves a chance, made us 20 grand, where as Maxsted spent that on additional travel/hotels and maybe even loss of prize money.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Dino Visser's efforts in the penalty shootout was better than Lenny Pidgeley's efforts against Argyle in August 2011. Lenny saved two penalties and one Argyle shot hit the post.