• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City versus Mansfield Town Discussion and Prediction thread

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
We next welcome one of the money clubs to SJP on Saturday Mansfield Town whose owners over the years have been trying to buy their way out of the fourth division, it worked for them in the Conference but is proving more difficult in this league. Their owners have aspirations of taking Mansfield to the Championship, but with a crowd of under 4000 last Saturday I hope that they have big pockets (from a quick google search not that big)

Recent managers have included the lovable and loyal Steve Evans who upped and left them mid season for Peterborough, the equally delightful Radfords then looked to Swindon Manager David Flitcroft to get them the success their money yearns for but he failed at the last hurdle losing to MK Dons in the last match of the season missing out on the autos and failing to gain success with the play offs, he paid the ultimate sacrifice.

This season the Radfords have appointed from within with the appointment of John Dempster, and despite some big name siginings (for our league) they haven't quite lifted off yet! This could be due to injuries and the suspensions which they have suffered at the start or a failure of the squad to adapt to a new managers way of thinking, from a quick scan of Stagsnet there is the slightest air of unease with Dempster which if results don't start going for him could grow.

The Radfords this summer with their video of the signing of Nicky Maynard in Portugal have done nothing to endear themselves to the greater footballing public, likewise with the signing of Willem Tomlinson reverting to Twitter to smugly announce the signing after it was widely reported he would be signing for us.

They currently find themselves languishing in 14th spot after one win (Carlisle away) three draws and a defeat (Leyton Orient at home). Last season we met them near the end of the season where they quite ruthlessly put us to the sword and started the slide whic ended our play off aspirations. As we are Exeter City the match has got draw or away win written all over it, but here's hoping for a Cty win with us remaining top of the league, Bowman and Ajose to notch in a nail biting 2-1 victory with Pete commenting on Wards' efforts for their goal which ricochets through a gaggle of players and dribbles over the line, in front of a crowd of 4728 (Mansfield fans don't travel in numbers)

GJW

I can see a 1-1 draw here. Crowd maybe 4600.

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
Big game. I think they can only improve, and playing them now is hopefully a good thing whilst they are still trying to find some form. 1-0 Bowman 4,200

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
2-2

The unbeaten start continues. Mansfield were class at the park towards the end of last season. They completely over powered us.
Attendance: 4781
Bowman and Law with the goals

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
City win 3-2.
4, 391 attendance
That is all.

Andy Holloway

2-2

The unbeaten start continues. Mansfield were class at the park towards the end of last season. They completely over powered us.
But that was LAST season, this i this season and there have been many changes for both teams. So i'll support your home win prediction, if not maybe your scorers.

Ashford Grecian

I can see a 1-1 draw here as well....

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
2-2

Given how good they looked that day it's still hard to believe how comprehensively they choked to throw away promotion - they lost their last 3 games when one win, or a draw on the last day, would have been enough.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Given how good they looked that day it's still hard to believe how comprehensively they choked to throw away promotion - they lost their last 3 games when one win, or a draw on the last day, would have been enough.
Bit like us with the playoffs last season

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bit like us with the playoffs last season
Although we did have a similary bad run towards the end of the season, I wouldn't say we choked, more that we weren't quite good enough. Mansfield, on the other hand, looked to be comfortably one of the best 3 teams in the division yet contrived to somehow miss out on promotion.