• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City V Vegan Rovers Discussion Thread

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Another top versus second for the second Saturday running for us, with us having a quick opportunity to regain the top spot (as long as we win by more goals than Crewe who are away to Carlisle and Newport who are home to Scunny)

In view of the exciting news of the crowd for Bury Argyle at the end of the month, will this be the second time we beat the 5k attendance mark? In the balance I would say as the Vegans do not travel in numbers, despite the proximity and their current table topping status hasn't seen them break the 3k figure at home, they are however playing the conquerors of the mighty Grecians - Coventry, tonight in the EFL Trophy tonight which may do this for them in a cup competition this season.

Speaking to a Grimsby fan at the last home match he wasn't very complimentary about them, and having a quick scan of the Fair play table they have had four suspensions from red cards already this season and are third in the table behind Mansfield and Crawley (must have been hell of a match last Saturday. I think we will need a strong Referee, for Christ's sake not the one we had for Orient or Huxtable, but one that one stand up to game management and time wasting. Interesting seeing that players can be booked for not leaving the pitch at the closest point.

The Vegans top scorer is Joseph Mills who is a defender with 4 goals, he also happens to be their penalty taker, the rest of their goals have been shared around the team. It appears that they are in their position not on their goal-scoring capabilities but more on their defensive qualities, which judging from the fair play league may be robust. They have only let in six goals this season, scoring 14.

It is ironic that the first match that Lewis Ward misses is this one as he was on loan at the Vegans for the second half of last season.

After all the hype before the Grimsby match I thought it was inevitable that we would lose it, this time I feel the opposite and think that despite all the stats pointing to a dour 0-0 or 1-0 either way, we will storm it and all the work this week on putting the ball in the back of the net will come off. I'd love to say 4-0 but feel it will be 3-0 Jay Williams and Seymour, the Vegans getting another red card and a crowd of 4764 generally go home happy in anticipation of welcoming the greenies from down the road in the next match

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I'm not too confident about this match.
I think they'll score first, but through sheer effort we will come back at them, winning 2-1 in a classic City nailbiter.
4500 people were there to see it.

IndoMike

PS. The number of vegans has quadrupled within the last few years. Stroudy is not alone
(Sorry: off topic)

Corey

and Newport who are home to Scunny
Newport were supposed to be playing Cheltenham this weekend but the game has been postponed due to international call ups, so they will not be playing this weekend.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wonder how deep Dale Vince's pockets are and how long they can keep going with a core fanbase of only 2,000.

But credit to Mini Cooper Mark 3, he seems to have got them well organised. They have turned two draws into a win and a loss to give them a point more than us.

If we play like we did in the first half at Crewe, comfortable win. Second half, struggle to draw 1-1.

Grecian2K

I do hope that it's not bad karma to have started a Saturday discussion thread before a Tuesday first team fixture has been played.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Newport were supposed to be playing Cheltenham this weekend but the game has been postponed due to international call ups, so they will not be playing this weekend.
I shot ahead of myself Newport play Scunny the following week the 19th. My bad, sorry, and thanks for pointing it out

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I do hope that it's not bad karma to have started a Saturday discussion thread before a Tuesday first team fixture has been played.
We will have an idea on the Karma side tonight as a Newport thread was started on Friday, could be something to bear in mind for the future though, and again it could always be argued whether tonight's match is a first team fixture (officially it is but...)

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wonder how deep Dale Vince's pockets are and how long they can keep going with a core fanbase of only 2,000.

But credit to Mini Cooper Mark 3, he seems to have got them well organised. They have turned two draws into a win and a loss to give them a point more than us.

If we play like we did in the first half at Crewe, comfortable win. Second half, struggle to draw 1-1.
Vince seems to be happy with the publicity he's getting out of Forest Green so I'm guessing that as long as the team keeps improving on the pitch then he will keep funding the club. And the core fanbase may only be 2 000 but that's still about four times what they were getting when we first started playing them and the away fans used to outnumber the home fans.

As for Mark Cooper he's had an interesting career. After crashing and burning at Peterborough in the Championship he's been pigeon-holed as a bit of a non-league manager but he did a solid enough job at Swindon at League 1.

I've seen it suggested that if you sit back against Forest Green they will struggle to break you down which sounds like plenty of City teams in the past but not sure if that is a good thing or not for the current team.

Avening Posse

A big test. They are a young team who weren't expected to do much this season. 2-1 win in front of 5,000