• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Port Vale 17/9/19 Match Day Thread

End Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Eer, yes there definitely is a stand out team, and deservedly they are currently top of the Division !
Why is it that very few are acknowledging our position, as Mr Ballz advises we are top of the league by three points, behind us everyone is beating each other and we are just gathering points as we play.

We get our Arizona contingent bemoaning everything we do.

The alleged big clubs of the division Bradford Swindon and I will include Bury Reserves in this are mid table despite their considerable support which brings in a fair wedge each time they play at home and the money clubs of Salford and Mansfield are equally bereft. Everybody keeps saying when so and so click they will start to fly, but it's not happening, having the money is not helping many clubs in this league.

But let's get a reality check! We are top of the league, unbeaten, which no other club in our division can say. Yes we probably will get beaten one day but not to date. We are the first club to over 20 points in the EFL. We had a slow start but we weren't beat, we are starting to play as a team, more fluid football, there is no one stand out player (Law hasn't done much past couple of games) we haven't even been able to field our strongest eleven yet so the future is bright the future is red & White

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Eer, yes there definitely is a stand out team, and deservedly they are currently top of the Division !
Depends on your definition of "standout", I suppose.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a happy bunny ATM and long may it continue.

But the fair-minded person lurking inside me concludes that although we definitely deserve to be top of the division that doesn't yet make us "standout". We are only just under a fifth of the way through the season (9 out of 46 games played) and are scoring less than two goals a game. And all but one of the teams we have played are currently in the bottom half of the table (though we helped put several of them there).

So it's much to early to call us a standout team, IMO. Let's beat Newport comfortably on Saturday and get to the end of October unbeaten including putting one over on Bury Argyle. Then I'll start to wax lyrical.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The 360 version. Enjoy!

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Depends on your definition of "standout", I suppose.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a happy bunny ATM and long may it continue.

But the fair-minded person lurking inside me concludes that although we definitely deserve to be top of the division that doesn't yet make us "standout". We are only just under a fifth of the way through the season (9 out of 46 games played) and are scoring less than two goals a game. And all but one of the teams we have played are currently in the bottom half of the table (though we helped put several of them there).

So it's much to early to call us a standout team, IMO. Let's beat Newport comfortably on Saturday and get to the end of October unbeaten including putting one over on Bury Argyle. Then I'll start to wax lyrical.
I think "standout" was referring to Coventry.

Red Devon

The only way the Vale defenders were able to stop Jayden Richardson in the first half was to foul him...got a feeling this lad is going to get stronger and stronger as the season goes on he certainly caught the eye with his pace and power....just one of the many positive performances last night.

exeter-loyal

You could tell we were a team up there (top) by watching us last night. The tempo and the pace going forward compared to last season is unreal. MT has really got them geared up and you can tell he wants are midfield and attacking players to be on the front foot. Every time we go forward we look dangerous and soon we really are going to hammer someone and I'm talking 5 or 6.​
Pleased for Sparkes to get MOM was well deserved he had a great game. Lee Martin and Randell Williams added that extra pace and bite when bought on. Think they were rested personally and will both start Saturday. 2 of our main players I would say at the mintue. Let's just keep the unbeaton run going and keep adding those points to the table. Roll onto the weekend!!

Grecian Max

To get out of this division you need to be solid in defence and create/score enough chances to win games. Us not scoring loads and loads isn’t actually and issue. Very rare flashy teams are promoted from League 2 - Lincoln and Argyle 16/17 are two examples of how it’s done. Matt Taylor is right in keeping it simple.

What’s noticeable is our superior fitness which means we chase down every second ball and also allows us to compete at the same level for the full 90. This coupled with the desire the players are showing to get the ball back and into dangerous areas means we will be successful this season, I’m very confident of that. We’re defending from the front and teams can’t cope with that.

iscalad

Pleased for Sparkes to get MOM was well deserved he had a great game. Lee Martin and Randell Williams added that extra pace and bite when bought on. Think they were rested personally and will both start Saturday. 2 of our main players I would say at the mintue. Let's just keep the unbeaton run going and keep adding those points to the table. Roll onto the weekend!!
Williams had a slight knock from Saturday and Martin a dead leg.

DPR1901

Anyway, to the tune of the Carpenters:

'We're on the top of the league
we're looking down on the Argyle - and the only explanation I can find
- is the team that we've found
- since MATT TAYLOR's been around
Matty's put us on top of the league.
We're on the top... etc etc'

exeter-loyal

Williams had a slight knock from Saturday and Martin a dead leg.
That was that then MT made the right decision with that one!