• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

EXETER CITY V NORTHAMPTON TOWN MDT

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
Totally agree. Rightly or wrongly, the perception last season was that this was the sort of physical game that wouldn't suit him but he was absolutely up for the fight yesterday. And I love the fact that a sliding last-ditch goal-saving tackle has become known as doing an Aaron Martin!
Obviously inspired by the chat we had with him at the Seniors party.

IndoMike

Totally agree. Rightly or wrongly, the perception last season was that this was the sort of physical game that wouldn't suit him but he was absolutely up for the fight yesterday. And I love the fact that a sliding last-ditch goal-saving tackle has become known as doing an Aaron Martin!
Yep, the number of last ditch tackles and blocks he has made is adding up. Plus a few goals to boot. Seems to me he's our best defender.

Stelios

Randell scored a goal, set up another and was heavily involved in the build-up to the third. Just how much does he have to contribute before you admit he's playing well and doing his job for the team. After all no player has created more goals in league 2 this season. And yes, I know he can still improve but I'm happy with how much he's improved already and just hope we get to watch him for the rest of the season.
Yes I've agreed with Ian that I'd like to see Randell on the left (even just for 20 minutes here and there) but that was a proper performance from him yesterday. Never doubted he has quality. Just sometimes I feel he isn't able to show it. But carry on like that and we'll be laughing.

IndoMike

Obviously inspired by the chat we had with him at the Seniors party.
Good work.

IndoMike

Yes I've agreed with Ian that I'd like to see Randell on the left (even just for 20 minutes here and there) but that was a proper performance from him yesterday. Never doubted he has quality. Just sometimes I feel he isn't able to show it. But carry on like that and we'll be laughing.
I'd only put him on the left if he was being dominated by opponents" left back (unlikely). The question is always what do we do with Sparkes if Williams plays on the left.

TSW1389

Aaron Martin has really stepped up and become the centre back we've all wanted him to be. Seems to have taken MT words about not making first contact enough and really now dominating those opportunities. His positioning is superb and made the centre of a back 3 his own.
Must mention Collins getting back and putting in a Martin style block.

Stelios

I'd only put him on the left if he was being dominated by opponents" left back (unlikely). The question is always what do we do with Sparkes if Williams plays on the left.
He seems to have struggled in games where the oppo sit back. When the game opens up he's different class.

Anyway, MT knows what he's doing. He really means business. He plays young players if he deems them good enough. He signs good footballers. He's toughened us up but also plays quality footballers. I really hope we can kick on from here.

exeips

Nobody mentioned Laws tackle for their first goal?
I'm sure Ryan Harley would've been crucified for that challenge!

IndoMike

Nobody mentioned Laws tackle for their first goal?
I'm sure Ryan Harley would've been crucified for that challenge!
Not his best work

grecIAN Harris

Harris forgets that there is an advantage to Williams stopping and turning to cross with his left foot : it means he can shoot or put in those dangerous inswinging balls aimed at the far post..
As you say, if it was such a disadvantage how come he has the greatest number of assists?
It's only dangerous if the defenders are still chasing back towards their goal but 99.9% of the time they're back facing the correct way (as far as they're concerned) because the ball in has been so slow in coming (mainly caused by Randall having to sort his feet out first). As for the goal, it's the first time he's scored from cutting in from the right. If you wish to read back, I gave him his dues for the way he took it by not going for the obvious curler into the far corner but chopping it back into the near post where it was harder for the keeper to change direction against the flow of the movement and get down. You manage to completely bypass the fact the goal he set up came from the left (where I've been banging on for ages he should be playing) as did his influence (I wouldn't exactly call it heavily involved as SEA reckons. It was a completely overhit nutmeg that he'd lost control of, and he'd done exactly the same from the other side earlier in the half), ) on the third goal . But the biggest factor you still don't get is that his burst of speed driving past the defenders on his left foot getting him behind the defence is what is causing the biggest headache. It's far more difficult to set up and defend against than anything he is ever likely to do from the right.