• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Mansfield Town Matchday Thread

Steve H

Have to say that was a reasonable performance - defensively strong, scored early, hit the woodwork twice.... seen better games but also see much, much worse

Grecianpasty

Really enjoyable game today. Both teams showed energy, commitment and some solid tackles. A classic league Two game. The game lacked that bit of quality but showed the physically that these teams present.

Lots to be positive about

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good result still not the finished article and areas for improvement but generally good solid performance.

Mansfield on the other hand have problems, a lot of their team are looking overweight and not functioning as a team, open hostility between their defenders. They do have quality for this level but aren't using it give their managers a couple more matches but Radford is not paying him to get his team to 19th. Before the match their training routine seemed disjointed all stop go worse I have seen this season and their actual team were a shadow of the team that destroyed us last season dare I mention Bury in the making?

Plus crap support for an alleged top team in the division give me Macclesfield any day

budegrecian

I'm very much in the 'very enjoyable game to watch' camp.
Mansfield are a decent side but we were better on the day. Our defending was excellent, with Deanno outstanding; he was worth the admission fee alone. I thought the midfield trio played well as did Sparkes & the front two. The woodwork prevented us from getting a couple morRandall Williams will be looking over his shoulder though, at Jayden Richardson; I tend to agree with Grecian Harris on that one.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Solid display with a good team defensive effort from Bowman and Lee Martin up top, right back to Sweeney, Aaron Martin and MoM Deano at the back. Archie and Jake also quietly efficient. It was one of those games where we looked comfortable without the ball keeping Mansfield playing in front of us and forcing them to go long a lot of the time which was ineffective. Got too deep for the last 10 minutes and needed subs a bit earlier but still defended the box well.

Could have been a bit more clinical going forward but not enough numbers in the area when we had the ball in good areas and on counter attacks. Still hit the woodwork twice though. Great finish by Ryan for his goal and quick thinking by Deano to find him.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Jesus Christ, what is the matter with some of you lot?. Moan, moan, moan. We are top of L2, undefeated so far. We have dropped 4 points in 6 games. Me and all the folk around me thoroughly enjoyed today's game and went away very happy. What does it take for you to stop being so grudging of any praise for the squad? It's League 2 FFS.

geoffwp

I'm surprised at the figure quoted for attendance at 4316. The bank seemed to have more space so thought it looked definitely under 4k. Either way still a bit disappointing seeing as we were sat top. I'd have put Moxey in for a definite shout as MOM. A massively cultured performance. We don't make life easy do we? That final 15 was increasingly squeaky bum as they pushed us deep and we could not get hold of the ball, except Wiilams who still just doesn't make the final telling pass after a lot of work. I still dislike us having everyone back for dead ball situations. FFS we still did it when Mansfield were down to 10. I'd like us to keep at least one man up the pitch. Overcrowded penalty areas make a ricochet goal far more easy to happen.

exeter-loyal

Great result today. Thought going forward we looked a threat. A.Martin and Moxey have a great partnership at the back they were solid today. Sparkes was brilliant, Sweeney needs to improve at RB. Rest of the team were decent but even though I like Wiliiams I thought he didn't have his best game today, he seemed to run out of ideas at times and his defending wasn't as good as it has been when tracking back. But not going to moan were top and still unbeaten. Keep the run going!!

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good game against a decent side.

Some key points that stood out today were Moxey is clearly now a CH and not a LB and was M of M for me, Jack Sparkes is ready for league football, Ward is going to be the signing of the season and will end up at a higher level, and the reason Matt Taylor struggles with Aaron Martin is because Martin often fails to win the first ball, or make the first contact as MT says, which nearly gifted them a goal after 10 mins when they smashed one wide of the post. Other than that hes defensively sound.

Red Devon

Well I’m definitely in the positive camp after that....easy to see that Mansfield have some very good players in their side....we hit the woodwork twice and there was some excellent delivery into the box from Lee Martin and Williams that only needed a touch to see the ball end up in the net..defensively strong with a no nonsense approach to clearing the ball with very committed midfield players who are all comfortable on the ball and capable of scoring goals....with Lee Martin and Bowman up top both working there socks off with the ability to create and score themselves......Moxey was outstanding today and was my MoM.