• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Macclesfield Town Matchday Thread

Grecianpasty

Couldn't help but notice MT having a little dig at A Martin and Parkes in post-match interview "not quite enough 1st contacts, certainly on the longer balls". Similar to what we heard last season before Martin was dropped.

Watch this space(!)

Is it 'refreshing' to hear this kind of honesty? Or is it a little self-defeating in the long run? I don't know. Managers are nornally more general in their critiicsim of their players. Surely as oppostion manager your ears must ***** up when you hear this kind of thing?

Could he not just say "it was nice to get a clean sheet but there are a few things to work on still" and leave it at that?
I get the impression that A Martin is the type of player that rests on his laurels. That was proven last year when he was dropped multiple times. I just see this as MT reminding him that his position in the team isn't safe.

There's no denying that he has the ability/experience at this level, but there is way too much hype for a guy who played a handful of good games out of his 20 odd appearances last year. B+ player at best.

I would go as far to say that with a fit Woodman it's likely Moxey will play ahead of Martin.

Red Monster

Couldn't help but notice MT having a little dig at A Martin and Parkes in post-match interview "not quite enough 1st contacts, certainly on the longer balls". Similar to what we heard last season before Martin was dropped.

Watch this space(!)

Is it 'refreshing' to hear this kind of honesty? Or is it a little self-defeating in the long run? I don't know. Managers are nornally more general in their critiicsim of their players. Surely as oppostion manager your ears must ***** up when you hear this kind of thing?

Could he not just say "it was nice to get a clean sheet but there are a few things to work on still" and leave it at that?
Wouldn’t be surprised if Gary Warren gets in very soon,was
Injured for a few weeks and missed the last few PSF ,
But got a place straight back in the squad and came on
Near the end.
Was hoping Robbie Cundy would be the answer.

Martin and Parkes lost a lot of headers ,usually central defenders
Win more than the attacking players there playing against ,
With them facing the ball but they didn’t.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I get the impression that A Martin is the type of player that rests on his laurels. That was proven last year when he was dropped multiple times. I just see this as MT reminding him that his position in the team isn't safe.

There's no denying that he has the ability/experience at this level, but there is way too much hype for a guy who played a handful of good games out of his 20 odd appearances last year. B+ player at best.

I would go as far to say that with a fit Woodman it's likely Moxey will play ahead of Martin.
I think if Moxey comes in for anyone it will probably be for Parkes as Matt Taylor seems to like having have one left-footed centre-back (Parkes/ Moxey) and one right-footed one (Martin/ Warren/ Sweeney). He won't want to chop and change too much but it will be interesting to see whether Warren or Martin ends up being the first choice - Aaron Martin is younger, has the more impressive previous experience and looked good in pre-season but doesn't necessarily have the confidence of the manager.

Grecianpasty

I think if Moxey comes in for anyone it will probably be for Parkes as Matt Taylor seems to like having have one left-footed centre-back (Parkes/ Moxey) and one right-footed one (Martin/ Warren/ Sweeney). He won't want to chop and change too much but it will be interesting to see whether Warren or Martin ends up being the first choice - Aaron Martin is younger, has the more impressive previous experience and looked good in pre-season but doesn't necessarily have the confidence of the manager.
As many have mentioned previously, our defence looks slow. And although some would say we have good options in the centre back role I am still not convinced. Cundy will be the wildcard in that role. Wouldn't surprise me if MT brings in a full back before deadline day, or one on loan at a later date, giving him the option of reverting to a 3-5-2. Would love to see K Wilson back at the park and pushing sweeney into that back three position.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
As many have mentioned previously, our defence looks slow. And although some would say we have good options in the centre back role I am still not convinced. Cundy will be the wildcard in that role. Wouldn't surprise me if MT brings in a full back before deadline day, or one on loan at a later date, giving him the option of reverting to a 3-5-2. Would love to see K Wilson back at the park and pushing sweeney into that back three position.
I didn't see much of pre-season but from what I heard Cundy looked some way short of the required level but hopefully he will improve as much as Dara O'Shea did last season. And yes, we surely must be trying to sign a right back; I wonder if the delays is because we are waiting as long as possible to see whether we will be able to sign Kane Wilson, though personally I am not convinced he is the answer. Until then, what happens if we don't sign anyone before Saturday and Pierce is suddenly unavailable for some reason - who will fill in at right back?

Grecianpasty

I didn't see much of pre-season but from what I heard Cundy looked some way short of the required level but hopefully he will improve as much as Dara O'Shea did last season. And yes, we surely must be trying to sign a right back; I wonder if the delays is because we are waiting as long as possible to see whether we will be able to sign Kane Wilson, though personally I am not convinced he is the answer. Until then, what happens if we don't sign anyone before Saturday and Pierce is suddenly unavailable for some reason - who will fill in at right back?
I'm pretty sure Kane Wilson is Taylors main priority now. If we can bring him in on a free and slap on a big sell on percentage for West brom, similar to the Williams deal, it will be beneficial for both clubs. He will provide cover in both full back/wing back roles and can do a great job on the wing as a substitute if ever we find ourselves holding onto a lead in games.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm pretty sure Kane Wilson is Taylors main priority now. If we can bring him in on a free and slap on a big sell on percentage for West brom, similar to the Williams deal, it will be beneficial for both clubs. He will provide cover in both full back/wing back roles and can do a great job on the wing as a substitute if ever we find ourselves holding onto a lead in games.
It does seem inexplicable that we went into the first game of the season without any sort of back-up right back in the squad so I wonder if we are waiting to see what happens with Ollie tomorrow and whether we suddenly find ourselves with two million plus quid coming our way, some of which could go towards a new right-back.

budegrecian

I think that the budget, right now, may be fully committed, following the Ajose signing. MT does still talk about players moving out & I think we may need someone like Tilson to go out on loan to free up some wages before he can bring another player in.
Would love to see Kane back, though.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think that the budget, right now, may be fully committed, following the Ajose signing. MT does still talk about players moving out & I think we may need someone like Tilson to go out on loan to free up some wages before he can bring another player in.
Would love to see Kane back, though.
That's the point. At the moment we don't have any spare cash so are probably going to have to sign an untried loanee and hope that he turns out to be the next Jack Stacey and not the next Jaden Brown. By the end of the day, though, we may suddenly find ourselves with upwards of two million pounds and be able to afford Kane Wilson or somebody similar.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Still very early days I know but a glance at the current league table suggests that this wasn't such a "disappointing" performance after all.
They might be potless and (now) managerless but Macc have certainly got off to a much better start than virtually everyone had predicted.