• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Macclesfield Town Matchday Thread

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sweeney had one of his poorest games to date with his distribution of the ball being diabolical.
Moxey was sound defensively but as with Sweeney rarely ventured over the halfway line.

It seems to have become accepted Exeweb fact that our full backs were poor on Saturday.The reluctance or inability of Deano to get forward is clearly an issue but with Woody for and Sparkes improving quickly I don't think he'll play many games at left back. Matt Taylor didn't seem overly impressed with Tom Parkes so I can see Deano slotting back into the centre of defence. As for Pierce Sweeney everyone seems to be ignoring the fact his distribution markedly improved towards the end of the game and he was the only player to put in a decent cross during open play or play a decent pass to feet in the box.

Jake Taylor apart from committing a couple of unnecessary fouls and getting himself booked relatively early in the first half was virtually anonymous.

Jake wasn't booked. The ref, who mostly did a good job on his league debut, gave him a lecture and told him the next foul would lead to a booking.

So summing as the typical end of term report might have said “could do and must do better”.

The most re-assuring part of the day was that both Matt Taylor and Ryan Bowman said the same in their interviews and there was no attempt to claim we had played better than we had.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Think it's fairly obvious that Tillson can go if someone wants him.

Disappointed that Woodman got the nod over Sparkes
With Parkes and Ward making their debuts it was understandable that Matt Taylor went for the more experienced option. Maybe if Deano goes back to centre-half that will be the perfect opportunity to blood Sparkes alongside him.

citylad60

Was i alone in thinking ,bringing on gary warren at the end on saturday, just seemed to cause confusion ?

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
To quote from the BBC match report "Exeter defender Dean Moxey made a stunning goal-saving tackle to prevent Ironside from tapping home in the 54th minute".

This seems to have been conveniently ignored by some of his detractors. Last season I recall several crucial goal line clearances, brought about by his ability to position himself in exactly the right spot at the right time. Notice too how he lines up at penalties, not on the edge of the box but 5 or 6 yards outside and times his run perfectly to get back in a defensive position quickest. Yes he may well have lost a yard or two in pace, but he still has a fine footballing brain, which is still a great asset to the team.

Grecian2K

Before this Macclesfield related thread fades into oblivion perhaps time for a little nostalgic quiz for any other Grecian "anoraks" to ponder.
1) When did City make our first appearance at the Moss Rose ground.
2) What was the score (Bonus point for naming ALL of the scorers) - Hint: It wasn't 0-0!!!

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Before this Macclesfield related thread fades into oblivion perhaps time for a little nostalgic quiz for any other Grecian "anoraks" to ponder.
2) What was the score (Bonus point for naming ALL of the scorers) - Hint: It wasn't 0-0!!!
My first guess is that this is likely to be a trick question, as our oppo might not have been Macclesfield...

Boyo

I'm pretty sure Chester played there for a while. Mid 90's.

Colesman Ballz

I'm pretty sure Chester played there for a while. Mid 90's.
Good shout, Chester did indeed play there for two seasons, before returning home to their newly built Deva Stadium in 1992.

Grecian2K

Some tidy passing at the back there (unlike Saturday!!!) but can they advance the quizzical ball swiftly past the halfway line (again, unlike most of Saturday!!!) :(

lanzo

Was i alone in thinking ,bringing on gary warren at the end on saturday, just seemed to cause confusion ?
Yes, you are alone in thinking that.....