• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Leyton Orient Match Day Thread.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Also, a lot of frustration about not winning the game pushes more attention on the referee. I'm just glad it's the ref and not any of our players that are getting the flak on here after a disappointing result.

I'm still angry about the ref who gave a penalty against us last season when Christy Pym punched the ball away and got fouled. He cost us a place in the playoffs. So I do understand.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
I don't think I have seen anyone foul so much off the ball than their no 21. So many times when City looked to counter Taylor was having to pick himself off the floor.
Their number 19 wasn't much better, if I think about it I cant recall a single player of theirs that actually showed himself in a decent light
League 2 gets rid of Lincoln cheats only to have Orient take their place.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't think I have seen anyone foul so much off the ball than their no 21. So many times when City looked to counter Taylor was having to pick himself off the floor.
Yes it was a joke, I looked him up after the game, George Marsh (on loan from Spurs). He was a very dirty little runt.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
In fairness to antman, aside from him generally being one of the more astute observers on these boards he also may be in position to comment away from the "mob mentality" of being in the crowd as well as having TV angles to look at.

I've mused before on here about attending a match as a neutral (top vs second Brentford vs Tranmere in L1) a few seasons back, and standing in the Brentford equivalent of the Big Bank (in terms of it being the singing/PASSHUN!!! stand). I was very amused to see the crowd going ballistic about (correct) decisions going against Brentford, and their ire towards the ref (Darren Deadman) who had an excellent game. I knew, however, that were it City playing I'd be going ballistic too.

However, having neither been at the match nor having seen the incidents in question, I cannot comment on who is right in this respect.
What you say is true with regard to neutrality and being away from the passion and I must admit to have being more emotionally charged as the match progressed in relation to the tactics I was witnessing, and if you read the Orient forum they saw nothing wrong with their play, however there were a number of incidents where the ref interpreted things differently to how I perceived them. It wasn't that he was bias and to be fair he was bad for either side, but at the end of the day he was the worst ref I have seen in a long time.

At the end of the day it wasn't the ref that cost us two points (despite disallowing Nicky Law's goal) it was our forwards for not capitalizing on the service Sparkes (my MOM) and Williams (first half in particular) were providing. We should have had anywhere up from 4 goals with the opportunities presented and a clinical finisher (like Angol)

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Their number 19 wasn't much better, if I think about it I cant recall a single player of theirs that actually showed himself in a decent light
League 2 gets rid of Lincoln cheats only to have Orient take their place.
Actually I thought Coulson, although slow at the back had Bowman sorted (contrary to Orient fans opinions though, but that was cos he gave awy the penalty) and Angol upfront was a handful for our centrebacks (well two of them anyway when he scored) The rest were cheating beggars

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yeah Sparkes was definitely my MoM too. What a player.

Pobbop

Also, a lot of frustration about not winning the game pushes more attention on the referee. I'm just glad it's the ref and not any of our players that are getting the flak on here after a disappointing result.

I'm still angry about the ref who gave a penalty against us last season when Christy Pym punched the ball away and got fouled. He cost us a place in the playoffs. So I do understand.

I don't buy this really, I was pretty angry with the ref, and even if we had got a last minute winner, I'd have thought he was rubbish.

Again, talking about individual incidents, is interesting, but in the end, it was the systematic fouling and off-the-ball fouling, stopping all flow, which the officials had no control over. I do not think he was biased though, just rubbish, but he needed to make even more booking earlier, in the end, so many of these came at the end of the match. It was clearly a designated fouler thing, they took turns. As someone else said their number 21 must have committed about as many fouls on his shirt before he eventually got booked.

The way the Orient player ignored him when being subbed he was told to go off to the nearest line, and just ran past him was indicative of the loss of control. He should have just sent the guy off for ignoring him, and no sub.

I actually do think it could have been an hand-ball by Law, from the angle I was at, replay inconclusive, but his hand was flapping about a bit, accidental, but that doesn't matter anymore apparently.

I think I have mentioned our defending and finishing was suspect at times in this match, so not purely down to the ref, if we hadn't been 2-1 down they wouldn't have been doing the time-wasting and anti-football.

Last edited:

Pobbop

Anyway on a more positive note, think this was the major plus of the game, his crossing was brilliant, and he looked really strong, really should have had about 3 assists.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I remember Taggy saying 2 or 3 years ago that Sparkes could be the next big thing. Great to see him finally getting a run and doing well. Left back seems to be City's speciality

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Looks bigger and tougher too. I think he still has to work on his defensive positioning but that will come with experience, I imagine. Dean Moxey will doubtless help him with that.

He may therefore be the next to attract the bigger clubs, rather than Collins?