• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Leyton Orient Match Day Thread.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Pierce Sweeney in the EFL team of the week!
As I have said before , the EFL team of the week seems to be picked by a computer algorithm that prioritises defenders who score for a successful team. It’s nothing to do with the player ‘s actual performance.

Red Devon

Sweenz was decent Saturday was unlucky not to bag 5 minutes earlier with a more classy effort...he also got forward with more poise than of late

DB9

Err, 2 points lost.

Anyway it's always different seeing the game live, in the round as such, rather than through the single eyed-lens of a camera. This always helps Exewebbers not to make daft comments.
Yep Sorry 2 points lost, Trying to rush typing on a phone, Apologies

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Having just read the Orient forum I take back my sympathies for their fans and would say they get what they deserve.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
It was impossible to see from the stream if Law handles the ball or not before scoring the disallowed goal, but it looked suspiciously like it to me. I didn't think the ref had too bad a game, although he did chicken out of a red card very late on but it would have made little difference to us at that point. At least he gave yellow cards when they were due, which at our level doesn't always happen. The penalty was definitely a penalty, but in my book there's no such thing as a 'soft' penalty, it's either a foul or it isn't. Very glad that Seymour went down to claim it, it saved us a point.

We didn't create enough good chances in this game second half to win it, and a draw was a fair result in my view. Better heading on goal from Bowman and Sweeney from a couple of crosses and we would have won it, but you have to put those away. Looking forward very much to Port Vale tomorrow.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sorry Anty are you sure you are in Barcelona and not Arizona. It just goes to show how deceptive the lens can be. I was sat in the NOG virtually alongside where Law shouldered the ball down to control it turn and score. Unless in the new rules you are now no longer allowed to shoulder a ball there was no way it was hand ball.

And as for the ref not having too bad a game again it must be a TV thing and this could explain Pierre's lopdsided view of things. He was absolutely dire! Not just one sending off near the end, there should have been at least two in the second half both for second bookable offences which he didn't follow through, particularly Ling on Sparkes when Ling feigned injury, and allowing players to slowly walk across the pitch when being substituted again showed he had lost control. But then according to the Orient fans I am just one of a number of whingeing Grecians

Rosencrantz

One thing you can't really pick up watching on screen rather than live is the pace and ferocity of certain incidents. Both the fouls on Randell which picked up yellow cards were very forceful which a different referee on a different day could have shown as red. Particularly the first one which was from behind as well. Both seemed to have excessive force (not the eighties anymore). Their second goal also really whizzed past Ward, the deflection took no pace off the shot and he had very little time to react. Something that isn't evident on screen.

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
One thing you can't really pick up watching on screen rather than live is the pace and ferocity of certain incidents. Both the fouls on Randell which picked up yellow cards were very forceful which a different referee on a different day could have shown as red. Particularly the first one which was from behind as well. Both seemed to have excessive force (not the eighties anymore). Their second goal also really whizzed past Ward, the deflection took no pace off the shot and he had very little time to react. Something that isn't evident on screen.
And all the stuff that went on away from the camera angle , I wished I had filmed Williams being pushed into the box prior to the pen then our colon cousin could have seen that as well.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry Anty are you sure you are in Barcelona and not Arizona. It just goes to show how deceptive the lens can be. I was sat in the NOG virtually alongside where Law shouldered the ball down to control it turn and score. Unless in the new rules you are now no longer allowed to shoulder a ball there was no way it was hand ball.

And as for the ref not having too bad a game again it must be a TV thing and this could explain Pierre's lopdsided view of things. He was absolutely dire! Not just one sending off near the end, there should have been at least two in the second half both for second bookable offences which he didn't follow through, particularly Ling on Sparkes when Ling feigned injury, and allowing players to slowly walk across the pitch when being substituted again showed he had lost control. But then according to the Orient fans I am just one of a number of whingeing Grecians
In fairness to antman, aside from him generally being one of the more astute observers on these boards he also may be in position to comment away from the "mob mentality" of being in the crowd as well as having TV angles to look at.

I've mused before on here about attending a match as a neutral (top vs second Brentford vs Tranmere in L1) a few seasons back, and standing in the Brentford equivalent of the Big Bank (in terms of it being the singing/PASSHUN!!! stand). I was very amused to see the crowd going ballistic about (correct) decisions going against Brentford, and their ire towards the ref (Darren Deadman) who had an excellent game. I knew, however, that were it City playing I'd be going ballistic too.

However, having neither been at the match nor having seen the incidents in question, I cannot comment on who is right in this respect.

Rosencrantz

And all the stuff that went on away from the camera angle , I wished I had filmed Williams being pushed into the box prior to the pen then our colon cousin could have seen that as well.
I don't think I have seen anyone foul so much off the ball than their no 21. So many times when City looked to counter Taylor was having to pick himself off the floor.