• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Leyton Orient Match Day Thread.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not sure for the first goal, their player had plenty of time to mishit his shot straight to Angol, which is just one of those things. Second goal though started started with Angol backing in to Martin and getting possession too easily in our half from which we never got close to the ball, until the Martin deflection.

This is why Aaron got left out last season for O'Shea and might lose his place to Parkes now. Almost every long straight ball into Angol, he just backed in to Martin and Aaron took a step or two back letting Angol bring the ball down or get a more comfortable lay off. He has to stand his ground, have a battle and win more of these first contacts. Parkes did this. It might mean giving away a few free kicks now and then but at least then we can organise.
Matt Taylor made exactly this point in his interview and although he didn't name names it was fairly clear he was talking about Aaron Martin. Big call to sub him off but can't be a co-incidence we dominated possession after Parkes came on. If Parkes can avoid elbowing any more players I expect he'll have a run in the team now.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interview post-match with Ben Seymour

Surprised there hasn't been more fuss about Seymour making his debut. Great to see the next cab off the academy rank getting his chance and having a real impact; also love his confidence and the way he wanted to take the penalty.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
So you're an FA accessor?
Why do I need to be an assessor to know that if the ball is already out of play and you then boot it out of the stadium it should be a booking?

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
I do think that Aaron Martin seems to be continually under the microscope. He's a Div 2 centre back and sometimes he's going to make errors of judgment.
It seems that as soon as Martin makes a mistake his selection is questioned. I don't see people suggesting Bowman or Lee Martin should be dropped despite their missing many chances v Carlisle. An easy missed chance is just as bad as a defensive error. Perhaps that's the lot of a keeper/ defender : strikers can miss 4 easy chances but score the winning goal and they're a hero.
It must put a lot of pressure on Martin to know if he's not perfect he's out. Didn't he play well in the first 6 or 7 games?
I'm not saying that Parkes should never be selected, and I do hear that Martin could be more robust, but he surely has good qualities, too

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I do think that Aaron Martin seems to be continually under the microscope. He's a Div 2 centre back and sometimes he's going to make errors of judgment.
It seems that as soon as Martin makes a mistake his selection is questioned. I don't see people suggesting Bowman or Lee Martin should be dropped despite their missing many chances v Carlisle. An easy missed chance is just as bad as a defensive error. Perhaps that's the lot of a keeper/ defender : strikers can miss 4 easy chances but score the winning goal and they're a hero.
It must put a lot of pressure on Martin to know if he's not perfect he's out. Didn't he play well in the first 6 or 7 games?
I'm not saying that Parkes should never be selected, and I do hear that Martin could be more robust, but he surely has good qualities, too
We have a strong squad this year so there is going to be competition for places. When you have a player as good as Tom Parkes on the bench then the players who are keeping him out of the team are going to be scrutinised. As for the others you mention, Lee Martin wasn't at his best today and we improved after he went off so I wouldn't assume he will automatically start on Tuesday. And Fisher's lively cameo will have put pressure on Bowman to up his game as well.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree completely.....everyone blaming the ref and the Leyton Orient tactics for not winning are well wide of the mark....as MT said we were collectively not good enough today and particularly lacking in the final third!!
The combination of conceding some unfortunate goals, weak refereeing and several senior players not quite at their best meant that this was a game that would have been easy to lose. Will be interesting to see how we react against Port Vale. If we have another off day then it might be time to start getting a little bit concerned.

STURTZ

Bad day for Aaron Martin today. He showed once again that consistency is his biggest weakness. In a way I'd like him not to be dropped for Parkes to show his worth. Can't help but think that he will be out of the team on Tuesday though.
So last weeks plaudits are this weeks chip paper? Rather a word from Matt about his performance than a castigation and dropping as happened last season. That resulted in a long winless run which wiped out our good start. Stick with Aeron Martin he's having a great season

PeteUSA

Apparently there was a handball in the area which helped Law scoring … The ref once again was seeing things which favoured Orient.

That is such a stupid idiotic comment. Go ahead and say the officials today were various kinds of crap, but to suggest that the referee was bent, which your comment suggests, is totally out of order. From what I can gather, I think its safe to say he was equally as unsatisfactory for both teams on the pitch yesterday.

PeteUSA

I thought Ward had his poorest game thus far yesterday. I know he's been generally well accepted by the fans, and its safe to say he's the best keeper we've had in a very long time. Thats why it comes hard to criticise him or lay blame at his door. That said, his anticipation off of his line was really poor for Orients first. I'm aware the ball fell kindly for their forward leaving him with only Ward to beat. That doesnt mean a keeper gives up on a situation as it appeared Ward did today. If anything our keeper was a step nearer the ball than the striker was, but it didnt seem to matter. Our keeper decided some kind of spread-eagle endeavor was called for and pretty much dived out of the line of fire, leaving one hopeful trailing leg! - Very poor by his standards.

Orients second was a little trickier since the ball took a rotten deflection en route. As one or two have said, he might have done better since although the ball was deflected, it was still well within his sights, yet he dived over the ball. That ball was shifting and things were all very condensed, so I'd give our man the benefit on that one.

I did think that situation near the end where he messed up on a backpass by kicking the ball against an opponent was a bit iffy. Luckily for him the rebound went well wide, but I dont like to see hesitation of that kind where a keeper loses his way.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
YouTube highlights