• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Leyton Orient Match Day Thread.

ryancooper327

Theirs was for time wasting
In the 60th minute I think. Very early which adds to the ‘game management’.

Also, why is this never enforced:

‘An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area, commits any of the following offences:
  • controls the ball with the hand/arm for more than six seconds before releasing it

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Good thing the referee and linesman were inept. Randall-Williams was two/three yards inside the box when the penalty kick was struck!

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
In the 60th minute I think. Very early which adds to the ‘game management’.

Also, why is this never enforced:

‘An indirect free kick is awarded if a goalkeeper, inside their penalty area, commits any of the following offences:
  • controls the ball with the hand/arm for more than six seconds before releasing it
It's a shame that in football, unlike in rugby, the players don't respect the referees. Knowing this, many refs do their best to avoid any confrontation and take the easy way out. If the managers on the sideline are giving them grief throughout the game it's even harder for them. So Ainscow, Cowley Bros, Steve Evans and various others create an advantage for themselves by pressurizing the referee.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
So last weeks plaudits are this weeks chip paper? Rather a word from Matt about his performance than a castigation and dropping as happened last season. That resulted in a long winless run which wiped out our good start. Stick with Aeron Martin he's having a great season
That's some serious re-writing of history. We went 8 league games without a win with Aaron Martin playing in seven of them. The run culminated in the Bury game after which he was dropped and then won four of the next 5.
I know there is a lot of love for Aaron Martin and many fans think he has been harshly treated. However, I think the simple truth is that last season Dara O'Shea was playing better than him and from what I've seen this season Tom Parkes is the better player.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
It's a shame that in football, unlike in rugby, the players don't respect the referees. Knowing this, many refs do their best to avoid any confrontation and take the easy way out. If the managers on the sideline are giving them grief throughout the game it's even harder for them. So Ainscow, Cowley Bros, Steve Evans and various others create an advantage for themselves by pressurizing the referee.
After the red cards for managers were introduced there seemed to be a brief period when there was less abuse of the fourth referee. However, that didn't last long and you wonder what the point of having rules for disciplining managers is if they are not going to be used.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Worse than Brett Huxtable? :eek:
The way the game was reffed was somewhat reminiscent of Brett Huxtable. Lots of fussy, look-at-me decision making in the first half but getting the key decision wrong followed by not having the bottle to send any Orient players off in the second-half.

Rog H K

Don't forget we will score our customary late goal :unsure:
A pen in injury time perhaps?

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Having calmed down overnight after that inept refereeing decision and the cynical tactics of Orient I believe our strikers (and one defender and a referee ) cost us two points.

The referee for cancelling out Law's goal. The defender is Pierce Sweeney with his header that went over the bar when he had a free header after law set up Williams, who put in the perfect cross and Sweeney rose beautifully only to head it wildly over the bar. How can he do that, being a central defender and heading balls should be your bread and butter especially when it was such a good cross.

Another match where Bowman should have been chaing a hattrick, two beautiful opporunities in either half where he was through on the keeper and he smashed the ball staright at the keeper. Perhaps he needs to take a second longer to think where he can place it, the one in the second half he could have laid it off to Fisher only being a forward needed the glory. On this form he is making 30 goal season prdiction quickly fade.

Lee Martin just wasn't at the game today.

Finally Fisher needs to do better when he gets the opportunities, it's good he is getting in the positions nut the ball needs to end up in hte back of the net.

Their two goals go down to disappointing defending, but despite the goals it is another match we should have had 5/6 from the opportunities we created, and instead of looking over our shoulders at Swindon we should be 3 points clear and a club teams fear playing.

Soon we are going to pulverise somebody where it will all click.

ryancooper327

He (the ref) didn’t give Archie a booking when he grabbed an Orient players legs after he stumbled on the end of our box in the first either. Terrible ref. Doesn’t totally mask the fact we were too slow to get going in the second half but is hard to get going when you’re brought down whenever you run forward! Anyway, onwards.

actually, has anyone seen the Law replay yet? Didn’t look handball to me and I can’t recall a single Orient player protesting?

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Good thing the referee and linesman were inept. Randall-Williams was two/three yards inside the box when the penalty kick was struck!
People were shouting at the ref and lino on the Doble side that Williams was being pushed into the box by 3 Orient players just prior to the penalty to make sure his body inside the area would rule out the pen ! That's why he then went round the back of their cheats and started his run just before the ball was struck oh BTW if you slow it down enough you'll see one of the Orient cheats was in front of Williams who was only a yard inside the box making Williams half a yard at best.

Feck me you love defending every team we play against.

Last edited: