• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Forest Green Rovers Matchday Thread

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Maxted made a couple of top saves to prevent certain goals. I dont think Ward would have kept them out. Could we please stop saying 'Jonny' every time he's mentioned though? The commentators really got on the tits with that.

CityTillIDie

Could we please stop saying 'Jonny' every time he's mentioned though? The commentators really got on the tits with that.
That’s his name?

PeteUSA

That’s his name?
That’s his name?
Yes, I'm fully aware of that. You might have noticed though that generally, players are referred to by their surname only. Forbes Phillipson-Masters was a noteable exception though.

scottus86

Well deserved win. First half an hour was excellent and then all of a sudden the ref started giving bizarre decisions, fouls for players slipping over, the odd decision to give them the ball when he stopped play when we had possession and a gaping open goal, then the second half slip from their player deemed a foul again. We've won yet they talk will still be about the incompetence of the officials.

Maxted made two good saves and looks a good first team goalkeeper, he did everything he needed to do comfortably.

Williams ran and worked hard, made a lot of our chances and caused them problems all through the game.

Sparkes was very good defensively, he didn't get forward as much as Williams, but he didn't need to. His delivery for the goal was excellent and he is playing like a much older player than he is.

Sweeney played well, defensively sound and his distribution has improved vastly over the last few weeks. He looks confident again, which is great news.

Aaron Martin was solid and is a very reliable last ditch defender who will dig his teammates out of trouble when called upon.

Tom Parkes was very good and took on Moxey's role of bringing the ball out from the back. Moxey probably does that better but Parkes is much more reliable defensively.

Nicky Law had a very good first half even if he did miss a few good chances, he was very involved down the right in the first half and bossed the midfield.

Jake Taylor took advantage of the space in the midfield well in the first half and protected the defence in the second half. I think we look better when he has a more attacking role in the team.

Collins did his job of protecting the back four but seemed to have run out of steam in the second half, it was a good decision to bring him off.

Lee Martin was getting into the right places a d working hard but his touch and decision making today let him down, along with some poor refereeing decisions going against him made him very frustrated. I'd have subbed him sooner.

Ryan Bowman did everything he needed to do today, first half he was excellent and took his goal well. Played some nice football, got in amongst their defenders, held the ball up and flicked it on at the right times.

Fisher didn't offer a lot when he came on.

Atagana looked comfortable if rusty in his short appearance, we regained a little more control once he came on.

Good performance, a good win and one we needed to win to stay on track.

IndoMike

It's certainly tight at the top. The encouraging thing is that we have a good bench, we've only lost one match, and the attendances are good.
We've just played 3 contenders and got promotion form points from those 3 matches. But it's true that if we don't get 2 goals ahead then we risk not getting full points : one dodgy ref decision or one mistake can cost us dearly.
We need to create and take more clear chances.to stay in the autos.
But, sounds like we did a lot of good stuff in the game and the defense is holding up well.

RRRRR

Williams and Maxted looked great, we were better than them for almost all of the match and should’ve scored a couple at least

iscalad

I think that's another referee on the " We never want to see him again" list.

Hard worked 3 points and an enjoyable game by 2 decent teams.

IndoMike

I think that's another referee on the " We never want to see him again" list.

Hard worked 3 points and an enjoyable game by 2 decent teams.
It's a long list.

Copernicus

A good result on reflection, I wish we could take advantage of our early domination which seems to be the way we play at the moment.

I hope Randel Williams scores soon, so much skill and energy, he deserves a couple at least so far this season.
Needs to bulk up a bit though, pushed off the ball far too easily.

But 3 points against the team above us and a good attendance, well done City!

dontpassback

Good game which we could have won by more,but nonetheless a clean sheet,and 3 points against one of our rivals so well done,great save by Jonny Maxted and why oh why did Nicky law try to lob the keeeper instead of just running at him? A word for the referee pedantic and erratic (I know that’s two words but he was not the best we have seen at the park!)