• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Crewe Matchday Thread

rustle

Once again look at the actual match, many times breaks were made but often no one or not enough people are in the danger area, Bowman is a hard worker but look at the amount of times and touches that takes him out of the penalty area, so when the ball comes in he isn't there, he needs to be told say in the middle as target man not drawn towards the edges of the penalty area, therefore hes's not in the position to be fed, and no one fills the area he should be.
That hits the spot exactly. Bowman is wide too much and Williams' crosses (decent though most of them are, given there are usually two defenders on him) are wasted too often as there's no-one in a decent position to do something with them.

denzil

Where we mucked up in dropping out of the automatics was not last night (as that was a good result) it was that awful performance against Creepy on Saturday afternoon. The rain, wind, mud etc was the same for both sides and we struggled...…...

older-codger

Randell Williams got Man of the match. From watching on iFollow I'd disagree, for the second game running I'd have given it to Atangana.
Bear in mind that Dream Away were the sponsors. I think that maybe they did! Both last night and Saturday, Williams was very poor, having plenty of the ball but doing nothing with it other than losing it by thinking that he was better than he was. I would have had Richardson on to replace him early on with his more direct running. I think he may well have given the left back to think about and would have avoided Williams cramping Dickensen's style.

Red Monster

We all know the problem we’ve only scored more than
One in a game 12 times in 36 matches.
We also know Bowman will play every minute of our
Remaining games,last night it was the fourth sitter he’s
Missed of the top of my head when Jake set him up another
Air shot just like Swindon.
So seeing Ajose doesn’t seem the answer play Randell Williams
Along side Bowman he would frighten central defenders,he’s
Good in the air and will have the pace to break any back line.
You then we can bring in Jayden Richardson in his position.

I don’t see it as a gamble ,it’s a gamble to keep it the same.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
A disappointing game that was the complete opposite of the excellent reverse fixture earlier in the season.
That game was played on a better pitch but even so it was a poor overall display from both teams.

A good crowd for a Tuesday night game on the back of a Saturday home fixture.

Matt Phillips

Was surprised that Taylor turned to Jake Taylor as the change, rather than matching what he did at Macclesfield and bring Richardson to play full back, allowing Dickenson to push on. Think Dickenson has become one of our best threats going forward, but having him and Williams on the same side seemed to limit him. Would also have changed Bowman for Ajose. Think Ajose's movement to find half a yard in the box is better, and the aerial crosses for Bowman clearly weren't working.

I think we need to find a way to get Richardson, Dickenson and Williams all into the side, and that might be going to a 5-4-1 / 3-4-3 with Williams pushed on, but doubt Taylor would do that as it would probably limit the chances of getting any of Law, Jay, L Martin or Ajose onto the pitch. Although it could see Randall get in, which I'd also be quite keen to see.

i8cornwall

This is 100% correct. Unless we become braver in our attacking play, very quickly and the manager becomes more positive with his substitutions, we are destined for the play-off lottery and I'll consider the season to be one of under-achievement by the players and management. We have given away too many sloppy goals and failed in many attacking perspectives from missing clear chances. The pitch currently clearly isnt very good but that's not the reason we've only got 2 points from a possible 6 in the last couple of games.
The mentality of the club top to bottom isn’t one that believes in promotion and taking this club to the next level.

This is/was our golden chance and yet again we look like we are darned it up. Will anything change in the summer, I very much doubt it.

Hope I’m wrong but this is city we are talking about!

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Mmmmm.

I can remember from my earliest City supporting years slightly more elderly Grecians repeating the refrain from the 58-59 season "they don't want promotion...the "directors can't afford it!"

Something oft heard at times (occasionally) since. And, possibly, with some basis of truth?

The (lamentably few) times we have managed to ascend to the third tier were ALWAYS followed, in short order, by financial crises and penury.

And, remember, the biggest gate this century at SJP (probably never, now, to be beaten) was NOT to celebrate a promotion but to mourn a relegation. :cry:

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Mmmmm.

I can remember from my earliest City supporting years slightly more elderly Grecians repeating the refrain from the 58-59 season "they don't want promotion...the "directors can't afford it!"

Something oft heard at times (occasionally) since. And, possibly, with some basis of truth?

The (lamentably few) times we have managed to ascend to the third tier were ALWAYS followed, in short order, by financial crises and penury.

And, remember, the biggest gate this century at SJP (probably never, now, to be beaten) was NOT to celebrate a promotion but to mourn a relegation. :cry:
I guess you are referring to the season we were relegated from the football league. If so then I for one, having watched our away victory at the Veitch in Swansea, turned up for the last home game against Southend believing Swansea would struggle against Hull and they did until the referee started dishing out penalties like there was no tomorrow, with ourselves winning and staying up.....sadly it didn’t work out like that.

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
The mentality of the club top to bottom isn’t one that believes in promotion and taking this club to the next level.

This is/was our golden chance and yet again we look like we are darned it up. Will anything change in the summer, I very much doubt it.

Hope I’m wrong but this is city we are talking about!
This post has made me laugh so hard. Thanks for cheering me up. Classic exeweb!