• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Cambridge Utd FA Cup 1st round replay Official Match Day Thread

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Forgot to say, good subs from MT last night (y) Had a good impact.
Which makes the defensive subs from last Saturday all the more baffling!

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think the fans have a right to have a pop at yet another poor performance. In isolation, sarcastic chanting at a dire performance seems petty and in such circumstances Matt would be well within his rights to ask for support rather than flak.

However I do feel that he and the players have been dining out a bit on the Argyle result a bit too much and it's clouding his judgement regarding some pretty terrible results but also performances prior to and after the Janners game.

We were smashed at Cambridge before Argyle and were really poor at Scunthorpe. After Argyle we were poor at Bradford after 20 minutes, poor at Cambridge in the cup and poor at home to Cheltenham at the weekend.
Persoanlly not seen any hangover from the Argyle game and think we need to differentiate between the home and away form. Since the start of October our home results in all competitions have been: 1-0, 4-0, 3-1, 0-0 and 1-0 which is more than respectable. Yes, the last two games have been a bit of a struggle but it's worth remembering we've been without our captain, a lot of our senior players have been struggling for form and fitness while our younger players will always be understandably inconsistent.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
The chant was mentioned by the radio cambridge commentators who said at the time that it had been city's first shot. I would have thought it was more wry humour, a bit of irony and not something too critical of the team. Chill Matt.
Is the right answer.

malcolms

I'm not sure what people expect...I'm delighted with what Matt is doing...Sure we need a more reliable goal scorer or preferably two, then again doesn't almost every team...The guy is honest, hardworking and committed which is why we win games like last night rather than losing them like we often did under the previous regime. 'Vive la difference'

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm not sure what people expect...I'm delighted with what Matt is doing...Sure we need a more reliable goal scorer or preferably two, then again doesn't almost every team...The guy is honest, hardworking and committed which is why we win games like last night rather than losing them like we often did under the previous regime. 'Vive la difference'
Agreed, i don’t have a particular issue with the chants and I also think Matt Taylor’s comments were fair enough - they seemed to be more about encouraging the fans to be more understanding rather than being openly critical of them.

Stelios

I know on other posts I have been saying we need a goal scorer but what would the point be of splashing the cash if you are not going to feed him, pretty dire crossing throughout.
Spot on. I'm more concerned about lack of decent chances created then our firepower. I guess if you create few chances it puts even more pressure on the strikers to score but I don't think Stockley would have scored too many recently. Don't have any issue with what MT said but it wasn't a nasty/unpleasant atmosphere last night. Just classic terrace 'black humour'. Red Legion sang the 'Stanno' song for about 10 minutes at one point on Sat and really tried their best in the 2nd half. Last night it was just frustration at watching the same thing all over again.

If Seymour carries on his workrate and intelligent running he'll take a bit of shifting. I haven't seen enough of Ajose to judge him yet but if he does come back and just stands around waiting to be given a chance on a plate I can't see it happening. Because we don't create those chances at the moment!

LOG

I couldn't make the chant out and thought it was something about a shop which left me slightly confused.

Yes, i really am that dim.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
We've conceded one goal at home in the last 540 minutes of football in all competitions. And that was in a 3-1 win in the dot com thingy.

OmanGrecian

I couldn't make the chant out and thought it was something about a shop which left me slightly confused.

Yes, i really am that dim.
A song about the new pop up shop perhaps 🙃

ECFC89

Reffered to as the 'Exiles' in the title of the highlights........