• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Bury matchday thread

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
I think we’ll win our next three games and it will all look very different.

Our game in hand is away at Lincoln but that shouldn’t scare us. Bring it on.

Mr Jinx

fred binneys head

dontpassback

Maynard didn’t know anything about that goal,it was poor defending in the build up by us !

Exehausted

Not that disappointed, I thought we played some very good football once again. How people can write Ryan Bowman off after one full game beggars belief. I thought he did well against a very good defence who withstood our high press very well. Many other teams would have cracked but they didn't. We've got more than enough about us to make the play-offs and once again Matt watched the same game as me. He thought it was two good sides who really went for each other but who cancelled each other out in the main. Just as I saw it. Didn't make excuses that we were without Forte or Martin. Moxey and O'shea were outstanding. I think we need a bit more from the full backs going forward and I would personally take a chance with Alex Hartridge and Kane Wilson next week, although I can't see it happening.

milts

What a dreadful goal to let in. Sweeney, Taylor, Woodman and Collins all let themselves down.

Devon Shaker

Two good teams and a great showcase for league 2 football.
You pegged us back with your press putting us on the back foot in the 1st half. You looked a well organised and structured unit with plenty about you. I really hope you go up but after today from what I saw this could be the year, certainly with those teams in and around the auto's and play off having the jitters you are getting into gear at the right time.
Today was on of those days, your performance bodes well for the run in imo and look to be up there with the best in this league from what I saw, you seriously have knowone to fear, so onwards and upwards - good luck.

pct333

Matt Taylor said after the match that Jonathan Forte has a knee injury.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Shame that. Always looked like one goal would decide it and so it was, and even then it was a complete fluke with their striker hitting it miles wide into Collins and past Pym.

Felt sorry for Bowman who worked hard and was hard but just couldn’t get the ball, except for a header that produced an excellent save from their keeper. Williams looks an excellent raw find with energy to spare, and that flick past a defender in front of the dug outs was worth the entrance fee alone.

Although less effective than of late thought Collins the pick of the midfield - always eager to receive the ball, always calm and controlled in possession and always with time to spare on the ball. Law was quiet throughout, and Holmes busy without delivering that killer ball.

At the back Deano and O’Shea will prove, injuries notwithstanding, an impossible pairing to break up, but not so the full backs. Woodman was caught toooften upfield with the ball played behind him and the longer the game went on the more erratic Sweeney’s passing became. Pym was his usual excellent self saving a certain second but with little chance for the first.

As usual we get mug officials more suited to D&E football. Deano’s perfectly timed tackle under the ref’s nose being a case in point that resulted in Deano getting carded when the only card he should have received was a congratulations card for a superb piece of defending. Also, their keeper was constantly allowed to carry the ball outside the area when kicking upfield, and despite some Wycombesque timewasting it took until deep into stoppage time to card one of their players for it.

But in the end a game either side could have won, it’s just a pity it wasn’t us.

Anthony very much how myself and my better half saw it particularly the Williams flick and Moxey tackle. I felt it would be decided by one goal and after the way we had defended all of their break away attacks in the first half thought it would be City.

Bury are certainly a decent team but we edged the first half without really creating more than a couple of clear cut chances one of which resulted in their keeper making an excellent save from a Bowman effort.

Second half from the start it was more of an even game although going forward I felt Bury carried the greater attacking threat. We were still well organised in defence and their goal when it came was to say the least a little fortunate and messy.

Bowman came more into his own but although he works hard I cannot see him scoring that many goals so not sure how much he brings to the team. After going behind we seemed to lose our shape. Nicky Law and Williams became less influential with the result that their defence was able to cope fairly comfortably with what little threat we offered and their keeper was rarely troubled.

As the half wore on Bury began to look more and more like a team with automatic promotion potential and sadly because of the limitations of our attack we were looking the opposite. The arrival of Kane Wilson did nothing to aid our cause and it was not until after the introduction of Donovan Wilson in the 80th minute that we carried any real goal scoring threat.

As others have said the referee was the usual poor league two standard and his decision to only give 4 minutes added on time was a complete travesty. In my view he should have played at least 6 minutes extra as both sides had made substitutions City two and Bury three, there had been a couple of occasions when the Bury physio had been on the pitch and Bury, in particular their keeper, had been guilty of blatant time wasting

In summary overall not a poor performance and a draw would have been a fair result but today showed the limitations of our attack. While City have been playing a more attractive style of football since Stockley left it is beginning to look as if the attacking options we have been left with will fall short of the mark necessary for automatic promotion and possibly even the playoffs.

Bowman does not look like a 20 goal a season striker more likely 10. Forte when he plays flatters to deceive and we can not expect Nicky Law as a mid fielder to score enough goals to make up the deficit. I feel sure that MT realised this but was unable to bring in the striker which he had targeted who would have played off Bowman and hopefully have been the last piece in the promotion jigsaw.

However having said that Donavon Wilson’s ten minute contribution was encouraging and Hiram when he is fit again will be like a new signing so onwards and upwards. UTC.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
At the back Deano and O’Shea will prove, injuries notwithstanding, an impossible pairing to break up, but not so the full backs. Woodman was caught toooften upfield with the ball played behind him and the longer the game went on the more erratic Sweeney’s passing became. Pym was his usual excellent self saving a certain second but with little chance for the first.
Craig Woodman has been slated for his part in the goal, and he was definitely caught out of position, but I thought Jake Taylor was just as much to blame for not winning the original 50-50. However, we know Woody isn't expected to play three games a week so will be very interesting to see who plays left-back at Lincoln.

And while going forward Pierce Sweeney was disappointing, I felt he did ok defensively and played a part in keeping Danny Meyer quiet. However, Kane Wilson was much better last week so while it might be harsh on Pierce, I hope that Matt Taylor gives Kane a run in the team at right-back.