• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City on this day

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
I can remember Neville getting sent off but not Macca. Are they sure? Just the whole concept of Macca getting sent seems wrong.

Oldsmobile-88

I can remember Neville getting sent off but not Macca. Are they sure? Just the whole concept of Macca getting sent seems wrong.
2 City players sent off!

They both played at Turf Moor the next week !

All I can recall of the game was a dour 0-0 where Carlisle shut up shop,who were managed by Clive Middlemass,Coopers former assistant at Bristol City.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The turnstiles on the away end were shut about 10 mins before KO,I & others quickly ran to the popular side & got in there before the old bill wised up & shut those turnstiles..About 40 of us managed to get in.

A few city fans were stood on the walls of the gardens of the houses behind the away end watching(before the covered away stand was built)
There were even City fans standing on the garages behind the away end which were starting to sag dangerously before the police intervened and moved them on.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Without access to a newspaper report I'm not going to be able to confirm.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Apparently, I was too busy being born to attend!

Lost 2-0 :( Wragg for Mansfield on 65 and 89 minutes. Glen Wilson in charge of Exeter, Raich Carter managing Mansfield. Attendance 5651. We finished the day in 20th place.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
View attachment 1148

Apparently, I was too busy being born to attend!

Lost 2-0 :( Wragg for Mansfield on 65 and 89 minutes. Glen Wilson in charge of Exeter, Raich Carter managing Mansfield. Attendance 5651. We finished the day in 20th place.
My mother's diary reports a) that I attended this match with my father b) that it was a very poor game!

Rosencrantz

Without access to a newspaper report I'm not going to be able to confirm.
My memory of it is also that only Nev's got sent off. Quite late on I think , out of frustration he just kicked out at someone in front of the old offices. Macca definitely didn't get marching orders.

LOG

On this day in 1985 we beat Argyle 2-0 at SJP in the Milk Cup to secure a 3-2 aggregate victory.

I've got the programme but can't scan it cos me printer's playing up, as all printers do.

Spoonz Red E

On this day in 1985 we beat Argyle 2-0 at SJP in the Milk Cup to secure a 3-2 aggregate victory.

I've got the programme but can't scan it cos me printer's playing up, as all printers do.
Lookie here

exeter150

5 September 1981, Exeter 2 Carlisle 1.
Hatch, Kellow, 3533.

1F44A9F7-D154-4C1E-9384-6B2F31721D1B.jpeg