• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City FC v Oldham Athletic AFC Match Day Thread

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is what some people don't get. Some get all hot and bothered if a poster suggests a player should be "rested", but they are doing a disservice to the player waiting in the wings who also deserves a chance.
Nobody should be nailed on if he is not in form or if another player is ready to replace him
Law is a very good player, but if MJ replaces him and does well he shouldn"t be dropped until he himself loses form.
Granted... Its a tough choice between Law and Jay, but Jay's on better form at the moment. I'd have him in ahead. I still think Law has more in his locker overall though, so will force his way back in. Of course, Jay should be on an upward trajectory and Law the opposite, in theory. So hopefully its a smooth transition over a long time. One thing I would add in Law's favour is although they are both pretty handy around the box (Jay more so, presently), Law contributes more to establishing midfield dominance, winning second balls, etc.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is what some people don't get. Some get all hot and bothered if a poster suggests a player should be "rested", but they are doing a disservice to the player waiting in the wings who also deserves a chance.
Nobody should be nailed on if he is not in form or if another player is ready to replace him
Law is a very good player, but if MJ replaces him and does well he shouldn"t be dropped until he himself loses form.
Our strength in depth this season really is quite ridiculous. That's three games in a row where a player has had to go off in the first half and in each case we've had a more than adequate replacement ready to step in without affecting the team.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Granted... Its a tough choice between Law and Jay, but Jay's on better form at the moment. I'd have him in ahead. I still think Law has more in his locker overall though, so will force his way back in. Of course, Jay should be on an upward trajectory and Law the opposite, in theory. So hopefully its a smooth transition over a long time. One thing I would add in Law's favour is although they are both pretty handy around the box (Jay more so, presently), Law contributes more to establishing midfield dominance, winning second balls, etc.
Law is a really good player and has made a big difference. All I'm saying is that if Matt T considers MJ to be his replacement and MJ plays well, Law must wait his turn. That"s the point of competition for places

IndoMike

Our strength in depth this season really is quite ridiculous. That's three games in a row where a player has had to go off in the first half and in each case we've had a more than adequate replacement ready to step in without affecting the team.
This will stand us in good stead as we near the end of the season.

Red Monster

Great result last night one thing I noticed was Randell Williams
Didn’t look half as effective on the left as he does on the right,
Maybe just a off night, but it must be food for thought for
Matt , as Richardson had his best game in Williams position.

But if Williams doesn’t produce the same on the left unfortunately
Richardson will have to move .

IndoMike

Great result last night one thing I noticed was Randell Williams
Didn’t look half as effective on the left as he does on the right,
Maybe just a off night, but it must be food for thought for
Matt , as Richardson had his best game in Williams position.

But if Williams doesn’t produce the same on the left unfortunately
Richardson will have to move .
And then there's Joel Randall waiting for his chance. Natural successor to Williams if the latter is off end of season

Red Monster

And then there's Joel Randall waiting for his chance. Natural successor to Williams if the latter is off end of season
You’re spot on Mike ,Joel Randall frightens defenders to
Death with his close control and really driving at them.

Pretty disappointed that he can’t make the bench , we all love
Lee Holmes but can’t agree that a player which needs match
Fitness gets a place on the bench ahead of a fully fit Joel Randall,
Doesn’t make sense.

CityTillIDie

What was the attendance?

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
You’re spot on Mike ,Joel Randall frightens defenders to
Death with his close control and really driving at them.

Pretty disappointed that he can’t make the bench , we all love
Lee Holmes but can’t agree that a player which needs match
Fitness gets a place on the bench ahead of a fully fit Joel Randall,
Doesn’t make sense.
In the automatic spots and off the back of a 5-1 win... the manager's team's all wrong and the young kids who've shown about 15 minutes of action should replace all the established players... I don't get this. Joel Randall will get his chance. So will Seymour. Taylor has, and continues to, nurture the young players. For some people, no amount of caution is acceptable.

Larry Wilkie

I guess he was worried about following through if he made a tackle!
I think you may well be right!!