• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City AFC v Swindon Town AFC Official Match Day Thread. LD2 17/8/19

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Also, that shot he has at 5.15. He seems to get that eaxact chance most games but he always seems too delicate. There's nearly always a crowd of bodies infront and he seems to drag his shot as he tries to place it carefully and ends up getting blocked. I guess it's better than the alternative of putting his laces through it and watching it sail into the Big Bank. I'm all for players shooting but just a bit frustrating.
A miss is a miss, I was disappointed with the effort when it happened as he seemed to have plenty of time to pick his spot (from the Sky highlights it was a nice look up by Law to find Jake), and upon reflection Jake does seem to be missing these opportunities - credit to him for getting in the position but the finishes need more attention.

Interesting on the DevonLive interview with Lee Martin he said his was a shot in the mode of Nicky Law against Macclesfield when Bowman scored. One other thing, whether it's because he doesn't like to give interviews, but he didn't seem overly happy during the interview, could be he just wanted to get home.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
In his interview after the Stevenage game, Nicky Law said that he always tries to shoot across the goal rather than to the near post to maximise the chance of a deflection if the shot doesn't go straight in. Therefore, it's noticeable that all 3 of our goals this season have come in a similar way - one directly with a sweetly struck shot and twice where a shot across goal has been shanked straight to another City player who has been able to deflect the ball in. Jake Taylor was clearly trying to do something similar with his shot and that time we didn't get the luck. However, regardless of all that, the Jake Taylor of 2 years ago who was more confident in front of goal would have probably smashed that shot first time into the bottom corner.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
GH no idea where you watch the game from but without wishing to appear rude perhaps a trip to spec savers......don’t agree......as reported on DL and exactly as I saw both saves.

Close shave
A cross from the Swindon right and Aaron Martin miscues it horribly towards his own goal. Thankfully Ward tips it over the bar and the corner comes to nothing.

Close again
Swindon on top now and ward makes a brilliant save to keep out a fierce drive from Michael Doughty. Ward punches the corner behind for another one...
Have you watched 360 yet and wish to continue this?

STURTZ

I was most impressed with the way Ward committed himself to leaving his box to clear a through ball in the second half. It was a tough shout as there was a player in hot pursuit. If he hadn't done it he would have looked really bad but it was the right call and he cleared a dangerous situation.

Rosencrantz

Just saw the iFollow highlights: Boy were Wards blushes spared when he crashed that clearance against an opponent where it came back past him into the net! The referee quite rightly awarded a freekick to City in that buildup, but I doubt if Mr Ward knew that! I still rate him highly, but no more shanks like that I hope.
Actually Pete the ref didn't give a free kick for Sweeney in the build up although he should have. He gave it for hand ball charging down Ward's clearance.

exeter-loyal

To be fair I thought he did end up giving it for Sweeney, praps not but was defienatly a foul.

Rosencrantz

To be fair I thought he did end up giving it for Sweeney, praps not but was defienatly a foul.
The ref certainly signalled for hand ball which was why Sweenz was giving him grief for not giving a foul on him. You can see on the normal (not 360) highlights.