• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City AFC v Swindon Town AFC Official Match Day Thread. LD2 17/8/19

JayPob94

So I’ve just driven back up to Aberdeen after watching yesterday and I must say I was really surprised with us. I thought we looked excellent.

You can see our manager was a solid centre half as we look solid. I’ve never seen us look so defensively strong as a unit. Our squad is huge, maybe our tallest squad?
Mix that with the flare players in attack which we clearly have, and ball playing midfielders which we have. It looks really, really good and it was pleasing on the eye.

However.... Williams looked knackered after 60 mins, probably because of Ajose. Don’t get me started on him. I don’t know whether MT told him to stay narrow but he offered no width at all and did completely jack sh*t. As soon as Martin came on for him it looked as though he was doing the job Ajose should have been doing - offering width. It looked as though Ajose didn’t take the sub off too well... I’m sure MT will sort his attitude out.

Dean Moxey went to ground around 4/5 times yesterday, which is no problem if he wins the ball, but he doesn’t. And Aaron Martin isn’t quick enough to cover him every single time. So that was a concern, but he looked good, especially on the ball.
One thing which worried me was how we changed systems about 3/4 times in the second half, maybe it’s complimenting how good Swindon were. The system we started with looked solid, and the 4-2-3-1 system we finished with looked exciting.

Really impressed with us and hats off to Matt. We will be up there this season with Swindon, and I do think Argyle will be too purely because they have Danny Mayor. The top 3 maybe?

exeter-loyal

Interesting but they are also predicting Brighton to win the PL !!
They maybe thinking there going to do a Leicester a few years back?

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I actually thought he didn't look quite so assured as he did against Macclesfield. There were a couple of times he came out to punch that looked a little poorly timed with his actual punch.
He did exactly this on more than one occasion at Torquay.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I wouldn't be too critical of Lewis Ward, overall he's been excellent so far imho.

Regarding the mistimed punches yesterday, he was dealing with quite a strong wind which didn't make things easy for him.

tavyred

Very well known Exeweb poster
Lewis Ward has been a revelation, if he isn’t playing at a higher level within 12-18 months I’ll be amazed.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
***king hell if you read the Swindon forum there are only two places up for Autos after Saturday - they might as well take the place of Bury.

The match was enjoyable on Saturday and Swindon did dominate the first half, but to me never really looked effective, and in the second half after the first ten minutes I thought you could see them physically tire which is when we came to the fore in the match. When they equalised they were even then slowing the play down hoping to kill time, whereas we still went on trying to look for the winner.

Part of the enjoyment of the match was watching two teams initially trying to go for it without employing game management tactics. If Swindon had scored early on I wonder what would have heppened.

A quick message to Swindon fans you are not Lincoln (last year they annihilated us with us both challenging for the top spot at the time)

exeter-loyal

And that is why he should start everyweek at the back. 2 decent games from him.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Not saying he's not worth his spot but to me the ball just hit his back and went to safety.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
From where I was sat he sort of positioned himself there in anticipation should the shot beat Lewis which it did and his positioning was spot on