• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City AFC v Swindon Town AFC Official Match Day Thread. LD2 17/8/19

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Swindon looked a good L2 side and I think they may well be at the top end of the table in May. So a point isn't a bad result, if I was a Swindon fan I'd be disappointed with only one.

We were however ponderous early on yesterday. On the evidence of the first three games and the latter part of least season, I do worry about our apparent lack of vim in the first +/- 60 minutes of games, is this tactical caution in the Tisdale mould or are we really less energetic than Macclesfield, Stevenage and Swindon? Both Sweeney and Woody were OK yesterday but they are not exactly speedy in either covering or going forward.

If Jake and Williams are going to be out I'd be minded to try playing 3-1-4-2 in at lest one of the next two games with the new lad Richardson (if he's match fit) and Sparkes as wing backs and try to inject some pace:

Sweeney Martin Moxey
Richardson Law Collins Jay Sparkes
Bowman Martin or Ajose
We may have started slowly but we also finished much the stronger against Macclesfield and Stevenage and, late goal aside, were much the better team for most of the second half yesterday.
As to your formation, I can definitely see us playing that at some point this season but it would be a brave manager who plays two 18-year-old debutants in the same side.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
We may have started slowly but we also finished much the stronger against Macclesfield and Stevenage and, late goal aside, were much the better team for most of the second half yesterday.
As to your formation, I can definitely see us playing that at some point this season but it would be a brave manager who plays two 18-year-old debutants in the same side.
Sparkes wouldn't be a debutant, he's come on as a sub in 3 league games and played about 10 times for the first team in total. Inexperienced, yes, but Matt Taylor has said he's ready for the first team

Richardson would indeed be a debutant, and as I said this would be contingent on him proving he's fit enough. He was on the bench for Forest in a league and an EFL cup game this season so is presumably regarded as up to it.

They would have 2 experienced players behind them in Sweeney and Moxey

I like brave managers, me. So long as bravery isn't a euphemism for foolishness.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Official YouTube highlights

Stelios

Random stat. Close friends and long time former partners up front Ollie Watkins and Matt Jay both scored on 72 minutes at home in a 1-1 draw yesterday.
Harmonic convergence?

Why was the Ward/rebound goal disallowed?

ryancooper327

Harmonic convergence?

Why was the Ward/rebound goal disallowed?
Attacker used his arm.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Deano was very much saint and sinner yesterday.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Moxey didn't have a bad game yesterday however he has developed a habit of diving in, not really what you want to see from a defender.

STURTZ

Don't blame him for the goal line block but thought he could have covered his man better for the equaliser. Apart from that he was a bit lucky in losing possession in dangerous areas but somehow getting it back. He's always going to try and take on players as he is a creative player that takes risks, maybe not great for a centre half but having said that I thought he had a good game yesterday and I'd continue playing him there if I were Matt Taylor.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Don't blame him for the goal line block but thought he could have covered his man better for the equaliser. Apart from that he was a bit lucky in losing possession in dangerous areas but somehow getting it back. He's always going to try and take on players as he is a creative player that takes risks, maybe not great for a centre half but having said that I thought he had a good game yesterday and I'd continue playing him there if I were Matt Taylor.
The Swindon goal was no-one in particular's fault it was a combination of good play by them and the defence collectively being stretched.

Personally I think Moxey is best in a back 3 where he has more cover for the occasional forward foray or loss of position (cf. David Luiz). Hence my enthusiasm to try wing backs of Sparkes and Richardson with a back 3 (of any combination of Sweeney, Martin, Parkes and Moxey). Less need for a covering DM in that formation too as one of the CBs can push forward to cut out through balls knowing that doesn't have to leave a big gap.

geoffwp

Random stat. Close friends and long time former partners up front Ollie Watkins and Matt Jay both scored on 72 minutes at home in a 1-1 draw yesterday.
I just love stats like that. Not sure about the 'harmonic convergence' thing though as I'm pretty sure they were just mates.