• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City AFC v Swindon Town AFC Official Match Day Thread. LD2 17/8/19

Stelios

When I watch the highlights later will I see Sweeney doing bugger all to stop the cross? I apologise if the goal was nothing to do with him it's just the Coventry highlights brought back a few flashbacks of last season.
Well........ Can't say I was too surprised to see their crosser in 5-10 yards of space.

Shame. On the whole I really like him as a player (dubious fitness levels notwithstanding). Tremendous going forward at times. Wonderful flick-on header in the highlights too.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/league-two/11788052/exeter-1-1-swindon

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Well........ Can't say I was too surprised to see their crosser in 5-10 yards of space.

Shame. On the whole I really like him as a player (dubious fitness levels notwithstanding). Tremendous going forward at times. Wonderful flick-on header in the highlights too.

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/league-two/11788052/exeter-1-1-swindon
Sweenz had to tuck in to cover Aaron Martin's outside which left space for their left back who wasn't tracked back. If he had gone wide their attacker would have had a massive gap to skin Aaron on the outside he would have been through. Unfortunately it was a good cross and for once we didn't deal with it as their striker got across Deano.

grecIAN Harris

GH no idea where you watch the game from but without wishing to appear rude perhaps a trip to spec savers......don’t agree......as reported on DL and exactly as I saw both saves.

Close shave
A cross from the Swindon right and Aaron Martin miscues it horribly towards his own goal. Thankfully Ward tips it over the bar and the corner comes to nothing.

Close again
Swindon on top now and ward makes a brilliant save to keep out a fierce drive from Michael Doughty. Ward punches the corner behind for another one...
I made no comment about the save from Martins miscue
(he did what he needed to as it seem to die very late in the air)
but as for the other one , on The Big Bank pretty much in a direct line from where the Swindon player hit the shot and where it was going to fly over my head. The ball was a good hand and wrist's length over before Ward got to it and it was still rising. Better safe than sorry though.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
It was a decent game however I thought we were poor during the first half, we offered very little threat going forward and looked far from watertight at the back. Swindon could have been 3 - 0 up at half time. The second half started in similar fashion with Swindon dominating. We changed things around with the likes of Jay and Lee Martin having a positive impact and we improved. The frustrating aspect was we conceded when we looked as comfortable as we had all game, Swindon appeared to have run out of energy and ideas after dominating earlier on.

I thought Sweeney, Martin and Moxey had decent games, Taylor was one of our best performers until he got injured.

The service into Bowman and Ajose was poor (yet again).

I'm a fan of Williams however he had a shocking game.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is a really good performance.
Your standards are low.

elginCity

MT praised a home 'support' that proved witless and moronic in the main. Funny old game.

grecIAN Harris

MT praised a home 'support' that proved witless and moronic in the main. Funny old game.
The very predictable McCormick chants started up. I'd be a little bit p!$$ed off if I were Matt Jay. He scores and The Legion started giving it large at McCormick again. It wasn't until two or three minutes later that Matt got the plaudits he should have instantly from them.

iscalad

The very predictable McCormick chants started up. I'd be a little bit p!$$ed off if I were Matt Jay. He scores and The Legion started giving it large at McCormick again. It wasn't until two or three minutes later that Matt got the plaudits he should have instantly from them.
To be fair the McCormick chants weren't as loud or long as some games in the past. Still embarrassing to hear though. Some people need to grow up ans get over it. He did his time.

andrew p long

Random stat. Close friends and long time former partners up front Ollie Watkins and Matt Jay both scored on 72 minutes at home in a 1-1 draw yesterday.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Swindon looked a good L2 side and I think they may well be at the top end of the table in May. So a point isn't a bad result, if I was a Swindon fan I'd be disappointed with only one.

We were however ponderous early on yesterday. On the evidence of the first three games and the latter part of least season, I do worry about our apparent lack of vim in the first +/- 60 minutes of games, is this tactical caution in the Tisdale mould or are we really less energetic than Macclesfield, Stevenage and Swindon? Both Sweeney and Woody were OK yesterday but they are not exactly speedy in either covering or going forward.

If Jake and Williams are going to be out I'd be minded to try playing 3-1-4-2 in at lest one of the next two games with the new lad Richardson (if he's match fit) and Sparkes as wing backs and try to inject some pace:

Sweeney Martin Moxey
Richardson Law Collins Jay Sparkes
Bowman Martin or Ajose