• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City AFC v Swindon Town AFC Official Match Day Thread. LD2 17/8/19

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was disappointed that we decided to sit on it when we scored, and can we please drop Sweeney there must be a kid or a brick lying around better than him.
Least the brick might have better positioning and stop the odd cross.
Sweeney I thought didn't have too bad a game best I've seen him of late. I also don't think that we sat back on our lead, I thought Swindon were tiring and we were looking for a second hence Matt Jay's attempt, and Lee Martin's agressive running

Once Swindon had scored they weren't looking for a winner and just wanted to play out time. Again the final action saw all our bigger defenders going up for a worked set piece so as I say I didn't think we sat back

Surprised noone has mentioned Williams' little cross/lob which beat McCormick and bounced off the bar that would have been ba beauty. End of the day a draw was a fair result but if we all got what we deserved Argyle would have won today with all their possession :ROFLMAO:

Stelios

To be fair to MT one of his major gripes last year was conceding soft goals and after 3 games and 1 goal conceded we seem to be more solid. Maybe this is coming at the expense of creating chances but I guess that's the tricky balance. Ward seems an excellent replacement for Pym and continues MT's record of signing good quality players. The big question mark is Ajose but lets give him time. We're not playing to strengths. He came to us as a talented player with no form or success in recent times. I hope it's a confidence thing and not an attitude thing.

Stelios

Exehausted's Official Player Ratings

My take on the performances of our players
Ward: Very assured again. Scuffed one punch, apart from that, flawless. Kicks well to the wings and it nearly always stays in. 9 (My MOM)
Sweeney: Again quite sound defensively and his passing was slightly better, but still needs to improve. 6
Woodman: Had lot of work to do but he stuck at his task. Played well with Moxey and whipped in a couple of good crosses. 7
A. Martin: Hardly made a header in the first half but much better after the break. Always good on the deck and some very good passes. 7 (Steve Tully's MOM)
Moxey: Hardly put a foot wrong. He was a very cool head when we were under a lot of pressure. Looked to have formed a good partnership with Martin. 8
Williams: Swindon had done their homework on him. Two or three were on him very quickly. Made some good tackles but had little impact going forward. 6
Taylor: Started on the left and that left Law in the middle. He looked sharp early on but got booked for a professional foul and then faded, down to his injury. 5
Collins: Worked very hard as always and got in some great challenges. Passing much better than the first game and he looks to be back to his best. 8
Law: Very effective when playing in the middle and so reliable as always. Our most consistent player for years and once again the sponsors MOM. 8
Ajose: Again made little impact although he did get into some good spaces but didn't get the passes that he needed. 5
Bowman: Again worked his socks off but was well marshalled by the Swindon defence. Won some great tackles near the touchline and linked well with L.Martin and Jay when they came on.7

Jay: Roundly criticised on Tuesday but made an instant impact when he came on. Sharp movement and passing helped us get on top. Scored and unlucky not to get another.8
L.Martin : I'm surprised that he hasn't yet got the nickname "super sub". His introduction and the change of shape turned the game our way. Linked well with Bowman.7

Grecianpasty

Its very interesting hearing different perceptions on the game.

Lewis Ward was very poor in my opinion. For someone his size and stature he needs to be collecting balls in the box, like his counterpart did today. Punched 4/5 crosses and one of those was completely unopposed!

Our quality to the front men today was poor. I can see why people think Ajose had a poor game but he also is having very little to work with. The service from midfield was very poor.

Game changed entirely when Jay and Martin came on, which is the main positive from today as both men, in particular Jay, will be feeling confident going into Tuesdays game.

Im expecting changes going into Tuesdays game. Williams and Ajose to be replaced in the first team.

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Im expecting changes going into Tuesdays game. Williams and Ajose to be replaced in the first team.
Ajose will start, hopefully he will score but he will also give way to Lee Martin in the second half where Oldham will have to deal with a different type of striker. I think the combination in this division works well

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Agreed Lewis was again excellent today (my MOM) and made a couple of exceptional saves in both halves. Second half one a powerful shot from the edge of the area which he tipped over the bar.....how he saw it let alone save it. The other when he saved Aaron Martin’s blushes tipping the latter’s back header over the bar.

I have more confidence in him as a keeper than I have had in any of our recent keepers. He is agile and with his height and build commands his area. He is also capable of turning defence into attack being able to throw the ball both accurately and for a significant distance. An excellent signing and someone whom in my view will definitely go on to play at a higher level.
You're surely not on about the one that a) he really did see all the way and b) he didn't actually even need to touch it as it was quite comfortably sailing over the bar.

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sweeney's distribution was excellent today.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
You're surely not on about the one that a) he really did see all the way and b) he didn't actually even need to touch it as it was quite comfortably sailing over the bar.
GH no idea where you watch the game from but without wishing to appear rude perhaps a trip to spec savers......don’t agree......as reported on DL and exactly as I saw both saves.

Close shave
A cross from the Swindon right and Aaron Martin miscues it horribly towards his own goal. Thankfully Ward tips it over the bar and the corner comes to nothing.

Close again
Swindon on top now and ward makes a brilliant save to keep out a fierce drive from Michael Doughty. Ward punches the corner behind for another one...

elginCity

Very well known Exeweb poster
GH no idea where you watch the game from but without wishing to appear rude perhaps a trip to spec savers......don’t agree......
From my view on the Bank, directly in line with the shot, Harris shouldn’t go to Specsavers at all, he’s absolutely right. Don’t blame Lewis for making sure though. Does need to work on his punching.

HH.ECFC

Its very interesting hearing different perceptions on the game.

Lewis Ward was very poor in my opinion. For someone his size and stature he needs to be collecting balls in the box, like his counterpart did today. Punched 4/5 crosses and one of those was completely unopposed!

Our quality to the front men today was poor. I can see why people think Ajose had a poor game but he also is having very little to work with. The service from midfield was very poor.

Game changed entirely when Jay and Martin came on, which is the main positive from today as both men, in particular Jay, will be feeling confident going into Tuesdays game.

Williams hasn’t got a replacement atm as Holmes is injured