• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City AFC v MK Dons Official Match Day Thread. 2 Feb 2019

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
As many posters have pointed out Harley the first time round was one of the greatest and most influential players in our history. Unfortunately that is rather negated by the fact that second time around, apart from a couple of performances, he pretty much mailed it in for three and half years despite being allegedly one of our highest-paid players. However, whether or not you feel he deserved it, it was very noticeable that after his early good pass was roundly booed he barely touched the ball again for the rest of the game.
I have no issue with the booing. It was part of what made Saturday's game so exciting, whether he deserved it or not. No problem with that. But Harley was very important for us at key moments during both of his spells at the club, so it's the nonsense about him being a waste of space during his time here that is ridiculous. Boo, yes, but don't ignore his contribution.

We had already banked the Watkins money a few weeks before so Wheeler wasn't sold because we needed the cash but because we rightly didn't feel it was right to deny him the opportunity to move to a Championship club.
Under Trust Ownership, ECFC will always need transfer revenue. Selling Watkins did not leave us in a position where we could turn money down for a player who's contract was being run down. But I agree the move was partly down the our ethos of not standing in a players career progression. My point is that he didn't jump ship and head over to the 'enemy' in the same way that JMT did.

The beef is because he publicly stated he would not move to any other Division 2 club apart from Exeter.
I missed this, do you have a link to the article? I guess it depends on whether you count being 'on loan' as moving to another Div 2 club. I can't bring myself to blame him for wanting some game time.

And while he was undoubtedly a whole-hearted player when he is with us I don't remember he being particularly combative. For example, in his last full season at Exeter he was booked three times whereas he should have been booked twice withing about half an hour on Saturday.
We remember differently then. My memory is that Wheeler loved getting in defenders faces, particularly when competing for headers, arriving late every now and then. One of the reasons he was such a crowd favourite was that he visibly gave his all for the cause (and carefully trod the line between hard and foul play), not sure why anyone would expect him to play any differently for his current team.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I have no issue with the booing. It was part of what made Saturday's game so exciting, whether he deserved it or not. No problem with that. But Harley was very important for us at key moments during both of his spells at the club, so it's the nonsense about him being a waste of space during his time here that is ridiculous. Boo, yes, but don't ignore his contribution.

Under Trust Ownership, ECFC will always need transfer revenue. Selling Watkins did not leave us in a position where we could turn money down for a player who's contract was being run down. But I agree the move was partly down the our ethos of not standing in a players career progression. My point is that he didn't jump ship and head over to the 'enemy' in the same way that JMT did.

I missed this, do you have a link to the article? I guess it depends on whether you count being 'on loan' as moving to another Div 2 club. I can't bring myself to blame him for wanting some game time.

We remember differently then. My memory is that Wheeler loved getting in defenders faces, particularly when competing for headers, arriving late every now and then. One of the reasons he was such a crowd favourite was that he visibly gave his all for the cause (and carefully trod the line between hard and foul play), not sure why anyone would expect him to play any differently for his current team.
I agree with your description of when he was at Exeter but on Saturday he did play differently and crossed the line between hard and foul play on several occasions in a way I don't remember him doing previously. And here is the link to his comments about not joining another League 2 club - not an article but the quote comes from a reliable Exeweb poster
http://www.exeweb.com/forums/showthread.php?60694-January-shopping-list-what-are-the-priorities/page38

And as for Harley - I have no problem recognising his postive contribution but have an issue with those you choose to ignore the fact that, as good as he was first time around, for much of his second spell he contributed much less.

ECFC89

Banter yes but abuse is a different matter altogether and I can't see how this can be acceptable or "fine"
I was wondering how positive your first post on this thread would be.

In all fairness more positive than I thought!

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was wondering how positive your first post on this thread would be.

In all fairness more positive than I thought!
Funny how there is no comment from him on what was a superb performance by City.

Rose tinter one season, far from it the next, funny old world.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
He's an Exeter city supporter for crying out loud. Or is it that some believe there are layers of support and they are top of the pile?

Antony Moxey

He's an Exeter city supporter for crying out loud. Or is it that some believe there are layers of support and they are top of the pile?
That’s some leap you’ve made there. What TPC is saying that after one of the best wins in many a season it’s strange that posters who make the effort to post aren’t at all congratulatory of the performance and result on Saturday. You’d think an Exeter City supporter would be bursting at the seams to sing the team’s praises after that.

geoffwp

Neither do I see a problem with wheeler joining whoever he wants to play for. What IS this rubbish about how he said he'd never play for anyone else in div2. Ahh. Did he fib maybe? Is that what the problem is? Bull ****. I reckon there is many an exeweb poster who would put their career first. The only loyalty in football is from the supporters, all the rest is just what we'd like to believe forgetting that for those involved with a career it's a job.

fred binneys head

Quite simply, yes. There are better fans than others.

Gordon Dale

Wonderful atmosphere in the Stansfield throughout . Had the pleasure of speaking with Ryan Harley and David Wheeler before and after the match. Absolutely no acrimony. Speaking with DW in the lounge after the game it was very apparent how he loved his time at ECFC. A real sportsman. I suspect he may return one day. Judged his move on loan to MK was 'convenient on a number of fronts'.

As for Tisdale ...I've just viewed his post match interview on the Dons website . Clearly not a sportsman . What a delusional whinger. According to some Dons fans PT is under real pressure with 2 wins in 9 games. Judged from PT's body language ( looked like he was about to go into re-hab!) and his constant indictment of his own players suggest they could well be right. PT's interview is hardly likely to endear him to the team or Dons supporters. Spoke with a number of Dons players and many agreed that a play-off final meeting between the two sides was a distinct possibility. What really surprised me was that they appeared to be quite cheerful after a 'comfortable' defeat. Strange ? Is PT on their wavelength ? The next 16 matches are going to be absolutely fascinating.

Grecian Max

That’s some leap you’ve made there. What TPC is saying that after one of the best wins in many a season it’s strange that posters who make the effort to post aren’t at all congratulatory of the performance and result on Saturday. You’d think an Exeter City supporter would be bursting at the seams to sing the team’s praises after that.
Yup. A huge difference in post style from last season form the usual suspects. And the feigned outrage from Geoff is great fun.

We can see through it, you know it, we know it. All of these posts are because you don’t want to lose face. The longer this season goes on the more likely that will happen. Hopefully that will end in promotion for us and a sacking for Tis.