• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City AFC v MK Dons Official Match Day Thread. 2 Feb 2019

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
So far so good :)

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Work rate and pressing in the first half hour was top notch.

Murder might get you a booking from the ref.

Rog H K

I think Ive counted 7 ocations where the Ref should have given MKD a yellow card and he hasn't. Why?

Rog H K

When was kicking a player in the shin off the ball not a yellow let alone a sending off. ?
Come on City...Do em! Nasty team.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Dara O'Shea is being fantastic.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Murder might get you a booking from the ref.
Unless your name is Sweeney who was booked for a fairly innocuous tackle in the first few minutes. Since then Mk have deliberately handled the ball and shoved a City player in the chest with barely a word from the ref let alone a booking. There was also what looked like a forearm smash from Wheeler.

scottus86

What a first half, the first half an hour was the best I have seen us play, possibly ever. We looked really good, no stray passes, great pressing, flicks, tricks, skill and swagger. It could have been more than 2, Law having a great chance but their keeper made a good save. The enery we spent in the first half hour tonned down a bit in the last 15 minutes but understandably so. MKdons have looked sloppy and nothing really went for them apart from a few decision by the ref.

I'd probably swap Sweeney for Wilson at some point as he got a cheep booking at the start of the game and I'd imagine with the high energy pressing Holes and Forte will probably come off at some point.

I felt MK were lucky not to have 2 or 3 yellow cards and I'd like to see the ref be a bit more consistent with his bookings.

Forte has been really good chasing down loose ends and created our first goal from a very difficult position. Martin and Holmes haved been brilliant with their high pressing and workrate, Law has made everything tick and Taylor took his goal well but not much else of note. Collins cleans up nearly every loose ball and recycles possession so well. Defence haven't looked troubles but Pym has given us some heart in mouth moments. Though he may have handled outside the area at one point, he is playing more like a sweeper.

We have been great but I can't see MKdons being so sloppy in the second half and I think we'll see another game in the second half. Hopefully we get an early goal and then we can see out the game comfortably.

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sweeneys was a booking but there was a lot worse

LightUser

Meanwhile, one of the fringe players MKdons discarded this week, Peter Pawlett, has just scored on his debut for Dundee Utd.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Wow, just wow. That was by far the best half of football we have played this season. MK haven't been able to cope with our high tempo, pressing game and the team being on the front foot has allowed Law to be at his imperious best. However, it has been one of those games where everything has clicked for City and everybody has played well - Jake Taylor has remembered how to shoot, for the first time Jonathan Forte has looked like he could be an adequate replacement for Jayden and Lee Martin has been more involved as usual. MK will almost be happy to be only 2 down as Law had a shot saved from a sublime move that would have been a goal of the season contender. At times we were showboating a little towards the end of the half and maybe if we had been a little more direct we might have got a third.

Pym has not had a save to move but towards the end of the half MK showed enough to suggest they could be dangerous if we get complacent or run out of steam in the second half. Wheeler has had one half chance but was more noticeable for the fouls he gave away. And Harley has been very quiet after one good pass early on; his performance was summed up when Archie tackled him near the end of the half.