• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter Christmas Market

Mid Devon Clown

What about repeat visitors?

I would imagine 200,000 footfall would be realistic.
Are you counting the tramps?

I'm not denying that is was busy, but 500,000 is pie* in the sky.

*or Stollen.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
8 confirmed from this thread alone.

I wonder what the population of Exeter's retail catchment area is? Let's be generous and include Plymouth, Torbay, Barnstaple and Honiton - after all it was Christmas.

Hey for the sake of argument let's be really generous and call the catchment area 'Devon' - it makes the maths easier.

The population of Devon is (for all intents and purposes) 1 million people.

So half of Devon not only visited our fair capital, but converged on one small patch of it over a 30 day period? That is big news!
To put it in perspective, it's almost double the number of people that watched City and the Chiefs combined throughout the course of last season!

Mid Devon Clown

I think we've made a point here and I'm putting my imaginary calculator aside.

So, was the venture a success? I believe it was.

As some have mentioned, the market provided a pleasant, safe and stimulating environment. The town centre was used by families late into the evening. Despite the protests of some established local traders the increase of footfall and exposure can only be positive.

I run a business a stone's throw from the Cathedral Yard and wholeheartedly welcome ventures such as the Christmas Market and other Craft Fairs through the year.

Sad that the figures seem to have been so heavily massaged though.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
*or Stollen.
Mmmm Stollen. Now we're on to summat good. Deserves a mention on the Cake thread.

Mid Devon Clown

pfft. Poor man's Selkirk Bannock!

Alistair20000

pfft. Poor man's Selkirk Bannock!
(y) Even better :)

Mid Devon Clown

Which is better?

Alistair20000

Which is better?
Sorry, never heard of a cake called Which.

LOG

These markets might bring people into the city centre, but they're just peddling crap that can be bought elsewhere for less.

Makes me laugh that Google is getting all high and mighty about it and telling us how it makes a difference from the normal High St crap whilst he goes on elsewhere about how good Darts Farm is (you do realise what a marketing con that place is?) because he's trying to be different.

Last edited:

Jordann

I did mean to go and I definitely saw the set up from the Michael Caines cafe but never got around to it. Went to Hamburg instead.