• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Euro 2021

For those who didn't know ... Euro 2020 will be held all over Europe with Final & Semis @ Wembley.

Been announced today that Wembley will also host groups games (group D along with Glasgow)

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/news/newsid=2525102.html#/

Does this bit ...
Group A: Rome and Baku
Group B: Saint Petersburg and Copenhagen
Group C: Amsterdam and Bucharest
Group D: London and Glasgow
Group E: Bilbao and Dublin
Group F: Munich and Budapest

Each qualified host country will play a minimum of two games at home.​

... mean that if England & Scotland both qualify we will be in the same group?

Personally think the extra group games should have gone to Wales. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42270759

Boyo

For those who didn't know ... Euro 2020 will be held all over Europe with Final & Semis @ Wembley.

Been announced today that Wembley will also host groups games (group D along with Glasgow)

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/news/newsid=2525102.html#/

Does this bit ...
Group A: Rome and Baku
Group B: Saint Petersburg and Copenhagen
Group C: Amsterdam and Bucharest
Group D: London and Glasgow
Group E: Bilbao and Dublin
Group F: Munich and Budapest

Each qualified host country will play a minimum of two games at home.​

... mean that if England & Scotland both qualify we will be in the same group?

Personally think the extra group games should have gone to Wales. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42270759
No not at all. I'm not sure where you're getting that from. If four of the host countries are drawn in the same group, then that causes a problem. I suspect they have rules in the draw to prevent that from happening however.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Tonights Bulgaria V England game in danger of being abandoned because of racial abuse with England 4-0 up at halftime

Red Devon

England on 🔥 tonight 4 up after half an hour against Montenegro

Colesman Ballz

England on 🔥 tonight 4 up after half an hour against Montenegro
Has Lee Holmes been called up or summat ?

Legohead

Banned
Yet another desperately uncompetitive fixture tonight. England aren't necessarily benefitting from breezing through qualifiers against minnows I don't feel. As much as I like Harry Kane, his record at international level is akin to Rooney's. Scored hatfuls against pub sides but not too many when it matters against top quality sides. That's why I believe that scoring records from years gone by stand up to scrutiny and today they don't. Because many years ago, most games were pretty competitive. If England played the likes of Bulgaria, Romania etc in the 80's / 90's etc then it would genuinely be a tough game. If they played those types of sides nowadays we'd expect nothing but a comfortable victory such is the deterioration of quality sides in Europe these days.

IndoMike

You can only beat what's in front of you but I don't think we're good enough to.win Euro 2020. Our tactics are too naive and we're far too open. Good players, but average manager.

Rosencrantz

We are certainly putting teams away more comfortably than we have in the recent past where we would have laboured to a 2 or 3-0 win against sides sat back at Wembley (under Hodgson, Capello etc). The young attacking talent coming through and competition for places are growing rapidly but probably 5/6 years away from peak. Defending does seem to be not so much choice but at least we are providing more exciting football than in the past. We are still not producing enough midfield pivot players, at the moment only Winks and Lewis Cook can play that role and Cook's evidence comes from England youth levels rather than Premier League.

As for 80's and 90's football, countries go through cycles. I can remember Turkey getting regular bastings but then doing well in World Cups and being a tough nut to crack. And you still had Luxembourg, Albania, Finland etc who we would be expected to beat comfortably. Add to the fact that at times during those era's we weren't that good ourselves.

Last edited:

Legohead

Banned
IMO England are good enough to win the Euro's. I take a look around at all the major contenders and they are bang average. Nothing in comparison to the Germany's, Spain's, Italy's, France's etc of 10 /15 plus years ago. Most countries now are filled with less stars and are more evenly matched. I don't see that any country is to be feared. Even if we are talking about World Cup countries, the likes of Brazil and Argentina are really average these days.

I like the way England approach games generally which is get at teams, attack with pace and if you get ahead then go for more. Defensively however they are suspect and this is probably the achilles heel.

Grecian2K

Ethan starting (again) for Wales in their qualifiers!
Young Stanno turning out for England U18s.
For any of our club's other "perceived faults" the academy does seem to be building a bit of a tradition for nurturing international talents!