• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ethan Ampadu

Fareham Grecian

Fellow Grecians.
As our club is forecast to be 'cash critical' in 2 years we could do with money sooner rather than later so we need him wearing Chelski blue sooner rather than later.
There is no such forecast to my knowledge. This is the second time I have challenged this statement that you keep making with no evidence. Can you please point to any source that has said this?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think we also got some money for Jay Stansfield and Boateng to add to the income, plus a little bit if FA Cup money.
I think the Boateng tribunal money is probably in the budget. Also one FA cup game is budgeted for, though we'll have a bit from the replay. Stansfield is however a windfall which I'd forgotten, thought the amount is unclear. In excess of £100K?

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I see Barca have signed Braithwaite today so he'll probably get some Champions League games 😋
Though not this season... not eligible.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
There is no such forecast to my knowledge. This is the second time I have challenged this statement that you keep making with no evidence. Can you please point to any source that has said this?
Depends on how you define "cash critical" I guess. Both FD Keith Mason and Club Chair Julian Tagg have warned at the last two Trust AGMs and elsewhere that the club will run into cash problems at some point in the not-too-distant future at current levels of players wages and other expenditure, unless further windfall income is received in the interim. The timing of that point is of course not fixed, however two years +/- has been mentioned.

Fareham Grecian

Depends on how you define "cash critical" I guess. Both FD Keith Mason and Club Chair Julian Tagg have warned at the last two Trust AGMs and elsewhere that the club will run into cash problems at some point in the not-too-distant future at current levels of players wages and other expenditure, unless further windfall income is received in the interim. The timing of that point is of course not fixed, however two years +/- has been mentioned.
Indeed. GiG put it in quotes though, as though someone had used this specific phrase. And he/she has woven a whole paranoid fantasy around it.

DB9

Very well known Exeweb poster
Indeed. GiG put it in quotes though, as though someone had used this specific phrase. And he/she has woven a whole paranoid fantasy around it.
Think GiG has just said it a bit more "Sensationlist" way than John has and maybe focused on the 2 year thing a bit too much?

DB9

In a way he does highlight the dangers of our model, Selling the likes of Ampadu, Watkins, Grimes etc is so important to us and if we can't keep that conveyor belt going we could find ourselves in financial do do but in saying that I do trust those in charge and we have been running the club like that for nearly 20 years

Rosencrantz

The key phrase in that though is current levels of players wages. This is something that they knew and planned because of the surplus income we had. It stands to reason that the budget will revert to base budget if no further surplus was generated. To call this "cash critical" though is over egging the pudding unless we plan to carry on paying at the same rate which would be unlikely/plain dumb.

Either we get used to this budget yo-yo when the surplus runs dry. Or we come up with ideas that increase the base budget away from windfalls to a rate that is competitive for league two promotion challenges. Ideally of course we would have both, but that seems to be the reality of football income at lower levels. One big transfer or cup run makes major differences in income, but they cannot be budgeted for before they happen.

Fareham Grecian

The key phrase in that though is current levels of players wages. This is something that they knew and planned because of the surplus income we had. It stands to reason that the budget will revert to base budget if no further surplus was generated. To call this "cash critical" though is over egging the pudding unless we plan to carry on paying at the same rate which would be unlikely/plain dumb.

Either we get used to this budget yo-yo when the surplus runs dry. Or we come up with ideas that increase the base budget away from windfalls to a rate that is competitive for league two promotion challenges. Ideally of course we would have both, but that seems to be the reality of football income at lower levels. One big transfer or cup run makes major differences in income, but they cannot be budgeted for before they happen.
Well put. Accepting that in the (unlikely imo) case that we sell no players at all in the next two years, and get no windfalls from any other sources, we have to cut our wage bill to levels we managed on until last year, seems a far cry from implying that we might well go out of business.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I remain confident that we will be in League 1 and all these figures will need to be rewritten.