• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ethan Ampadu

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Dalle Valle ?

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
All good guesses, but all so far have failed the test in that they actually "played" (he says, politely) for us.

This fella we signed, sent him out on loan then he buggered off, only to surface a few years later playing against Arsenal. A quick check on Soccerbase suggests he played in this season's Europa League too for a different club against, amongst others, PSV Eindhoven.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
All good guesses, but all so far have failed the test in that they actually "played" (he says, politely) for us.

This fella we signed, sent him out on loan then he buggered off, only to surface a few years later playing against Arsenal. A quick check on Soccerbase suggests he played in this season's Europa League too for a different club against, amongst others, PSV Eindhoven.
Doug Bergqvist

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Doug Bergqvist
We have a winner!

Tim Long

As an example of the pointlessness of the 'how many other ex City players went on to play Champions League ?" question: Admittedly Qualifier rather than Group Stage but almost immediately after departing the Park, Leon Braithwaite. Sadly international stardom failed to beckon. He was quick...

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
As an example of the pointlessness of the 'how many other ex City players went on to play Champions League ?" question: Admittedly Qualifier rather than Group Stage but almost immediately after departing the Park, Leon Braithwaite. Sadly international stardom failed to beckon. He was quick...
Glen Crowe was another, I believe.

chunkymorrinmunter

Myles Anderson? Nope, not him.
Colin Anderson? signed on a free from somewhere. no cant be!

Tim Long

Glen Crowe was another, I believe.
I have it in my head that there were more ex City to Champions League (Qualifying) for Irish clubs due to Eamonn Dolan's twin, Pat, managing St Patrick's Athletic. But I may be wrong.
Also some Welsh League eg Phil Baker at TNS. Nobody whose career has gone to earth shattering heights.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes, patience is what I meant. Hopefully Lampard will bring him back to the Chelsea fold assuming he is still Chelsea manager next season and he'll start to get some chances. But an extension of his loan at Leipzig or to a different club is not beyond the realms of possibility.
Fellow Grecians.
As our club is forecast to be 'cash critical' in 2 years we could do with money sooner rather than later so we need him wearing Chelski blue sooner rather than later. The good news is that a 'Bring back Amps' campaign has started https://www-walesonline-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bring-ethan-ampadu-back-chelsea-17779617.amp?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQCKAE=#aoh=15822044183413&referrer=https://www.google.com&amp_tf=From %1$s&ampshare=https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/bring-ethan-ampadu-back-chelsea-17779617

UTC

Matt Phillips

As our club is forecast to be 'cash critical' in 2 years
Probably wider than the Ampadu question, so maybe not totally relevant to the thread, but where's this "cash critical" phrase come from and what does it actually mean? Is it where we run out of cash, or run out of free cash to support the club above base budget? And how has 2 years been decided?

Whilst cashflow is clearly vital for a football club, like in other industries working capital & liquidity are probably more relevant. Given players coming through, I don't think we're really in a panic situation. Whether we get a fair value is another question, but I doubt it would be insufficient to maintain the current business model (although the next question would be whether the business model is ambitious enough...).

Back to Ampadu though, what a player he looked last night. My one fear is that that role, in the centre of a three man defence, is probably his best and Lampard's Chelsea don't/won't play that way. Part of me would rather he ends up getting sold though, as at least that would guarantee the payment of the sell-on clause, unlike if he becomes a mainstay at Chelsea and sees out his career there!