• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Ethan Ampadu

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
So if I understand this correctly, if he was sold for £22.5m for example and Chelsea had already coughed up the £2.5m then City would get another 20% of the difference, ie £22.5m less £2.5m = £20M @ 20% = £4m, does that sound right?
Yes, that’s my understanding too.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
So if I understand this correctly, if he was sold for £22.5m for example and Chelsea had already coughed up the £2.5m then City would get another 20% of the difference, ie £22.5m less £2.5m = £20M @ 20% = £4m, does that sound right?
As I understand it, we get 20% of the difference even if it's based on the £1.3M we have already had, not the £2.5M maximum. So if he went for £22.5M now, we'd get 20% of £21.2M = £4.24M.

Similarly, if someone paid a loan fee of (say) £2M tomorrow, we'd get 20% of £700K or £140K. However, I suspect the players budget is already over-committed, so this might not mean a further cash windfall for Matt Taylor's pot.

“Chelsea will pay Exeter City 20 per cent of any excess over the amount already paid to Exeter City in respect of sums receivable by the way of a transfer/compensation or loan fees if the player should leave Chelsea, whether permanently or temporarily by the way of a loan at any time in the future.”

andrew p long

I agree with JW’s analysis (though Ian’s question was premised on the 2.5m having been paid,itself which would happen when Ethan had 55 Chelsea appearances).

A £2m loan fee is not at all unlikely. However as JW previously commented ‘Isuspect we will get shafted’.
I can envisage Aston Villa paying £2m for a season long loan of which 750k is Ethan’s wages and 1.25m is the loan fee. Of course that would mean that ECFC get nothing for at least a year being marginally under both appearance and transfer fee threshold. And would show up again the ridiculous transfer fee paid by Chelsea - being recovered by them for a one season loan!

Grecian2K

Now being linked with Leipzig (of all places)? (It's in the Super Snoreaway S*n so it MUST be true)

Also Cardiff and SWANSEA sniffing (according to the South Wales News) - in time for tomorrow??? ;)

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
The rumour of Ampadu to RB Leipzig on a season-long loan is being given prominence on the Chelsea website.

"Blues head coach Frank Lampard revealed he had been left out the pre-season trip to Japan in order to work on a loan deal. "

Whether this is good or bad news for ECFC is open to debate...

jimbo-gould

Pictures have just surfaced on Twitter of him in Germany somewhere. To add a bit more fuel to the fire...

A few British players have been doing well in Germany in recent years. Hope that continues with Ethan!

On a side note, what position do people want him to end up at? For me I want him to be a centre back. Ball playing CBs seem to be more in demand than than any positions bar striker.

Last edited:

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
IMO middle of a back 3 is his best role. Replacement for 32 year old David Luiz, if he sticks around at Chelsea.

budegrecian

On a side note, what position do people want him to end up at? For me I want him to be a centre back. Ball playing CBs seem to be more in demand than than any positions bar striker.
[/QUOTE]
As long as he fulfills his potential, I don't really care, although I also think a ball playing CH may be his best long term position. I just want him to move on from Chelsea for a ridiculous fee.

Larry Wilkie

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Really good move for the lad. Lets hope he plays and does well.