• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

England's Ashes Test Team

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Comfortable win in the end to tie the series (but not regain the Ashes). Strange feeling really as 2-2 draw not too bad, yet it seems that there is so much wrong and to rectify. In the end, the main difference between the sides has been Steve Smith which shows the Aussies are still searching for batsmen also. Cummings was excellent and Hazlewood bowled well as did Archer and Broad. It will interesting to see if any new faces come into the reckoning on tour this winter against a useful NZ team, a rebuilding SA team and a rebuilding Sri Lanka.

Having typed that, are India the only test side that are in a good position at the moment apart from maybe New Zealand?

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
Good to see us square the series, even though the Ashes are gone. Smith's phenomenal scoring took a lot of the pressure off those who batted with him, especially as their openers did poorly. Our record at the Oval is pretty good, partly helped by a few wins in dead rubbers. Shame we have to play regularly at Lord's!

Alistair20000

I don't want Broad in the side.
Like to reconsider Chap ? ;)

geoffwp

Here's hoping that Denly's innings will give him added confidence. A positive achievement plus becoming a dad, whether it be first time or fifth can often have a real effect on a bloke. I hope he does come good. Still hope we take some young guns to New Zealand.

IndoMike

Congratz to the Aussies and commiserations to England. There is no doubt that Smith made the difference, but we had good performances from Archer, Broad, Stokes, Leach and Burns throughout the series. I'm also convinced that Curran will be a test player for a long time.
Interesting that Broad usually plays well when Anderson is out of the team.
The experts seem to think we should stick with Root as captain. Woakes didn't shine as much as I had hoped.
I think we need to find another couple of reliable top order batsmen and one more young bowler.
Denly and Buttler came good when it was too late. Bairstow was OK. Roy strugged.
Finally, in general the fans were great.
What an atmosphere at Edgbaston and Headingly. Lords : great ground but needs to loosen up.

Colesman Ballz

Here's hoping that Denly's innings will give him added confidence. A positive achievement plus becoming a dad, whether it be first time or fifth can often have a real effect on a bloke. I hope he does come good. Still hope we take some young guns to New Zealand.
Does this mean that there are a whole "tribe" of little GeoffWP's out there ?????

Alistair20000

Does this mean that there are a whole "tribe" of little GeoffWP's out there ?????
All wielding tenon saws, sliding bevels and tri squares ?

IndoMike

I bet Geoff could make a super cricket bat (one foot wide for some of our batsmen) and set of stumps. He could also provide some spare sandpaper for our bowlers

geoffwp

I see Bairstow is dropped. I just love the way they call it 'an opportunity'. He's been dropped ffs. Opportunity balloks. Sport management rubbish.