• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

England's Ashes Test Team

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I know it wasn't aimed at me but since Geoffers agreed with my comments then I wish to take responsibility.
I don't know which players Cricket England have been preparing for Test cricket. At the moment I would pick this team :

Burns
Pope
Stokes - selected as batsman
*Root - capt.
Roy - one final series to prove himself
Bairstow
Curran
Woakes
Broad
Leach
Archer

If there is no-one better : why not?
* I agree with some experts who say because Root is our best batsman he should be relieved of captaincy duties.
I wonder if Bairstow could handle the pressure?
Pope does not open for Surrey. Recipe for disaster ? ? ? If he goes in anywhere he replaces Roy at 5.

I have been advocating Stokes at 3 all season so with you on that as he will not be bowling in this match.

If you keep Roy it is hard to see why you drop Denly.

If it is a fast bouncy Oval track I might give Overton another go as Curran and Woakes are too similar so one of them drops out. Maybe Curran plays instead of Woakes.

IndoMike

Pope does not open for Surrey. Recipe for disaster ? ? ? If he goes in anywhere he replaces Roy at 5.

I KNOW. BUT HE'S YOUNG. HE HAS POTENTIAL. DENLY IS 31 AND HAS HAD PLENTY OF CHANCES.

I have been advocating Stokes at 3 all season so with you on that as he will not be bowling in this match.

I WAS CONVINCED ABOUT THIS AFTER LISTENING TO BOYCOTT ON TMS.

If you keep Roy it is hard to see why you drop Denly.

TO HAVE BOTH IS A LIABILITY. AT LEAST ONE HAS TO GO. THERE'S A CHANCE THAT ROY CAN ADAPT. NOT IDEAL, BUT..

If it is a fast bouncy Oval track I might give Overton another go as Curran and Woakes are too similar so one of them drops out. Maybe Curran plays instead of Woakes.
CURRAN KEEPS GETTING OVERLOOKED, BUT I RECKON HE COULD AVERAGE 25 RUNS AND GRAB 1 or 2 WICKETS PER MATCH. WOAKES THE SAME. IF WE HAD ANOTHER GENUINE FAST BOWLER I MIGHT BENCH WOAKES..IF WHAT I SAY IS TRUE, EACH ONE MAKES A BIGGER CONTRIBUTION THAN DENLY.

geoffwp

Morning gents. Actually Al I had no idea of a team in mind when I said let's give youth a chance. To be honest, I've never had an interest in picking teams, whether they be football, cricket or tidlywinks. However, there must be some young players out there who would relish a chance to step up. Quite frankly they are unlikely to disappoint any more than the current bunch are doing so why not take a chance.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Geoff and TPC

FFS. Just post up your proposed teams and stop fannying around.

Watching the machinations of the wretched politicians is bad enough.

This thread is about cricket where respect and tolerance should rule.

Just saying like.

Teams gentlemen please.
Morning Bercow,

As I have already indicated I would go with a similar side to the last test with it being a toss up between Overton, Woakes and Curran.

I asked Geoffrey for his eleven because he indicated he would chuck some youngsters in and I was interested to see which players he was referring to.

geoffwp

I read this morning that 80 school cricket pitches as well as 150 public accessible pitches have been lost since 2010. Are we going backwards in the sport? Surely the state of any national game is based on its grass roots level strength and interest? If so I can't see how narrowing chances to play the game is helping.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I read this morning that 80 school cricket pitches as well as 150 public accessible pitches have been lost since 2010. Are we going backwards in the sport? Surely the state of any national game is based on its grass roots level strength and interest? If so I can't see how narrowing chances to play the game is helping.
We just won the world cup, we are losing 2 - 1 to Australia, hardly the end of the world.

geoffwp

We just won the world cup, we are losing 2 - 1 to Australia, hardly the end of the world.
I'm talking test obviously, not limited overs. Don't think I talked about it as end of the world stuff, blimey it's just cricket. Pretty comprehensive defeat though which should have alarm bells ringing throughout the establishment. Time to give youth a chance. There's nothing to lose and you never know, we might just find something positive.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Team named for the match tomorrow.

Roy and Overton dropped with Curran and Woakes coming in.

The Woakes - Overton revolving door sums it up in my opinion. Overton isn't a world beater however he has the ability to dig in and really did bat well only a few days ago showing plenty of fight. He's a decent bowler who can extract bounce out of the wicket, he should have been given another chance imho.

Woakes and Curran are also good cricketers however if they don't take wickets and score runs will they be dropped for the next test match (whenever that is).

It all stinks of a scrambled thought process.

Root out (as captain).

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Root doesn't pick the team.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Root doesn't pick the team.
I believe he has a big say in team selection.

ps. I would get rid of the coach (Bayliss) as well however he is already going hence why I didn't comment on that.