• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

England's Ashes Test Team

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Unchanged 12-man squad for 3rd test. Selectors still trusting in Denley.
Probably because there are no obvious replacements. :(

IndoMike

Probably because there are no obvious replacements. :(
I suppose so, Ali. Sad state of affairs. For me Test Match cricket is the ultimate test of a player and more interesting and exciting than the current trend to produce rounders players.

geoffwp

I suppose so, Ali. Sad state of affairs. For me Test Match cricket is the ultimate test of a player and more interesting and exciting than the current trend to produce rounders players.
Thing is though Mike is it the future? Sure it's been with us in a 5 day format for many many years but things are changing. I do wonder if the more 'instant' excitement of 50 and 20 over games will inevitable push the old game aside.

Alistair20000

Thing is though Mike is it the future? Sure it's been with us in a 5 day format for many many years but things are changing. I do wonder if the more 'instant' excitement of 50 and 20 over games will inevitable push the old game aside.

I think you have a point Geoffrey.

The 50 over competition and the Test format fit together quite well IMHO but the T20 does not. There is massive money in the T20 with competitions all round the world throughout the year. I remember when T20 came in, Michael Holding made the point early on that it would threaten test cricket and once out of the bottle it would be too late to put it back.

The T20 batsman is less concerned with his average than his strike rate and a lot of players are signing up to white ball cricket only. The attention span of the younger people who watch cricket is short. There has even been a suggestion that a T20 is too long. The wretched 100 will be along soon too.

Yep, the old game is in a bit of difficulty unless the money from the shorter formats can be used to subsidise it very significantly.

IndoMike

You're right. Unfortunately tradition is being thrown out of the window in the chase for money. The search for instant thrills. No focus, no attention'-span. Kids can't sit down and read a book any more. VAR making football look stupid.
Change is necessary if it is for the good, but when it isn't there's nothing special about it. Money, money, money.

IndoMike

The Aussies are moaning about the England fans booing Smith when he came back on after the Archer ball incident, but it was they who allowed him to come back on and they who are seriously considering he play again this week.

Grecian2K

Smith now ruled out of the third test (according to the beeb)

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Aussies are moaning about the England fans booing Smith when he came back on after the Archer ball incident, but it was they who allowed him to come back on and they who are seriously considering he play again this week.
I disapprove of the booing, and hope only a few people were doing it. Nevertheless, lectures on proper chap behaviour at cricket are hard to take from Aussies.

IndoMike

I disapprove of the booing, and hope only a few people were doing it. Nevertheless, lectures on proper chap behaviour at cricket are hard to take from Aussies.
Yes, I don't agree with booing a player either.
The Aussies seem to be having a go at Archer, but their players are not averse to chucking down the odd bouncer either
Very wise decision to rest Smith, who apparently is still suffering from the effects of concussion.
The question about banning bouncers is another question.

IndoMike

Looks like Starc might be coming back in : fighting fire with fire?
Smith out
Could be a fiery 3rd test.