• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

England's Ashes Test Team

HH12

Well-known Exeweb poster
6 Down 🏏

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
No way did Root hold that catch cleanly. It touched the ground before he lifted it up.

Alistair20000

No way did Root hold that catch cleanly. It touched the ground before he lifted it up.
Not what the scorecard tells Geoffers.

Must confess to have seen only a quick shot of it on the News.

geoffwp

They showed it slow mo Al. The ball was clearly on it's way back up as Root gathered it. Whoever it is dealing with the reviews needs to go to specsavers. Awful decision.

Alistair20000

They showed it slow mo Al. The ball was clearly on it's way back up as Root gathered it. Whoever it is dealing with the reviews needs to go to specsavers. Awful decision.
Those decisions are very tough and more often than not the TV replays are inconclusive. Hope to see it on some highlights later.

IndoMike

Up to the catcher to be honest, Geoffers.
A draw was the likely outcome and so it passed.

IndoMike

As long as our opening 4 or 5 batsmen bat so badly, difficult to see us winning any tests. But there is no doubt that Archer has changed the dynamic. Having said that, think he took just 5 wickets in the match, so the psychological damage to the Aussies is probably greater than the wickets taken

geoffwp

Up to the catcher to be honest, Geoffers.
A draw was the likely outcome and so it passed.
True Mike, which was why it surprised me being Root of all people. Maybe his own lack of consistent form and the rather big difference between what is expected of England and what they are delivering ( the fragile top order in particular) is getting to him.

IndoMike

True Mike, which was why it surprised me being Root of all people. Maybe his own lack of consistent form and the rather big difference between what is expected of England and what they are delivering ( the fragile top order in particular) is getting to him.
I haven't seen the video yet (just woken up)
I'd like to think he would signal not out if it wasn't out, but I guess when you're desperate for a wicket your mind can play tricks with you. Cricket should be one of the last bastions of fair play, but the sandpaper boys have shown that it ain't.

Alistair20000

Just seen it Geoffrey.

Root claimed it and Strine matey clearly disagreed. The third umpire took the view that the ball was going up from Root’s fingers which were under the ball. That looked a possible conclusion to my jaundiced eye. As I posted earlier, the TV replays are often inconclusive in these decisions and this was such a case. Would not therefore agree the decision was “awful” unless the “soft” call by the on field umpires (which I did not see) was not out. If it was not out it should probably not have been overturned.