England's Ashes Test Team

geoffwp

Well-known Exeweb poster
Not so sure about Stokes as a captain. Does he have the tactical skills as well as the ability to get the best out of others? Dont see many real options. Bairstow? Like others, I think a lot depends on who gets Baylis' job.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
Not so sure about Stokes as a captain. Does he have the tactical skills as well as the ability to get the best out of others? Dont see many real options. Bairstow? Like others, I think a lot depends on who gets Baylis' job.
There isn't a replacement in the current set up Geoff, that's the problem with removing Root. I'm lucky enough to work in and around the game, meeting some really interesting people from time to time, and the general consensus is that Stokes is the best leader in the dressing room, but not a captain.

The only real way of deposing Root would be to bring Morgan into the 5 day set up, and that is not going to happen.

The Proper Chap

I'm lucky enough to work in and around the game, meeting some really interesting people from time to time, and the general consensus is that Stokes is the best leader in the dressing room, but not a captain.
Spanky = Geoffrey Boycott.

The Proper Chap

Burns and Root need to cash in because although we have players who can score runs on their day below Stokes we have some very unpredictable performers with the willow. Bairstow is in at five and his gate is bigger than those found on a massive Devon farm.

The Oval should be a 350 - 400 pitch.

The Proper Chap

Just typed Spanky Cricket into Google and this appeared, looking fairly solid here Spanky, perhaps you could do a job.