• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

England's Ashes Test Team

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
I know we can draw the series, Ali, but that means little. The target was the Ashes, and we couldn't get them back. If we win. many will think it was because the Aussies weren't too bothered, because clearly they are the better side.
Even if we win at the Oval I think everybody accepts that the Strines have been the better team and that we have been outplayed in all departments. Just the miracle of Headingley to remember fondly and we know miracles come along only every 38 years or so.

Grecian2K

Sad but true, Al. Sad but true.
In Steve Smith they had an exceptional batsman (and catcher) while their attack was overall more consistent and persevering than ours.
The only player who showed the sort of consistent form that might have saved England was David Warner!

geoffwp

The selectors are naming an unchanged side for the 5th test. No matter what anyone says, this is a dead rubber. The prize has been won already, so why not try one or two younger players? It's all too cosy at Cricket HQ.
Completely agree with you on this Mike. I really couldn't care less whether we draw this series or lose it. As you rightly say the prize is gone. Seems the absolute right thing to do to take a pruning saw out and give some of the lions a chance to step up.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
What is your line up for the game this week Beavis ?

geoffwp

Dunno. What's yours butthead?

IndoMike

What is your line up for the game this week Beavis ?
One would assume that there are options, or do we only have a pool of 12 or 13 cricketers. If only 12 or 13, what the hell is Cricket HQ doing?

Alistair20000

Geoff and TPC

FFS. Just post up your proposed teams and stop fannying around.

Watching the machinations of the wretched politicians is bad enough.

This thread is about cricket where respect and tolerance should rule.

Just saying like.

Teams gentlemen please.

IndoMike

Geoff and TPC

FFS. Just post up your proposed teams and stop fannying around.

Watching the machinations of the wretched politicians is bad enough.

This thread is about cricket where respect and tolerance should rule.

Just saying like.

Teams gentlemen please.
I'm not Geoff or TPC, I'm just saying that surely "Cricket England" has a pool of players from which to select the first team - a kind of U23 squad waiting in the wings ?
Whilst I understand that new players need time to bed in, after 8 innings you would think that the selectors could judge if the likes of Roy, Denly and Buttler were up to it. Considering the few runs they scored it would be unlikely some new blood could do any worse.

Alistair20000

I'm not Geoff or TPC, I'm just saying that surely "Cricket England" has a pool of players from which to select the first team - a kind of U23 squad waiting in the wings ?
Whilst I understand that new players need time to bed in, after 8 innings you would think that the selectors could judge if the likes of Roy, Denly and Buttler were up to it. Considering the few runs they scored it would be unlikely some new blood could do any worse.
My post was not directed at you Indo but if you would like to post up your suggested team for the Oval we can enter into mature and polite debate about it.

IndoMike

My post was not directed at you Indo but if you would like to post up your suggested team for the Oval we can enter into mature and polite debate about it.
I know it wasn't aimed at me but since Geoffers agreed with my comments then I wish to take responsibility.
I don't know which players Cricket England have been preparing for Test cricket. At the moment I would pick this team :

Burns
Pope
Stokes - selected as batsman
*Root - capt.
Roy - one final series to prove himself
Bairstow
Curran
Woakes
Broad
Leach
Archer

If there is no-one better : why not?
* I agree with some experts who say because Root is our best batsman he should be relieved of captaincy duties.
I wonder if Bairstow could handle the pressure?