• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

EFL Trophy 2019/20

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
It will be Oxford United at home.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
It will be Oxford United at home.
Anybody know the prize money for winning?

budegrecian

Apparantly £20k for winning in round 2, followed by £40k for winning round 3. Not bad for a competition we all tend to dismiss.
Oxford isn't a bad draw & we have every chance of progressing.

IndoMike

Apparantly £20k for winning in round 2, followed by £40k for winning round 3. Not bad for a competition we all tend to dismiss.
Thanks. I was against it at the beginning but I now see the advantages of giving our youngsters good run-outs, allowing previously injured players to get match fit, and earning a few extra quid in the meantime.

Red Devon

Golly! some serious money there.

budegrecian

Thanks. I was against it at the beginning but I now see the advantages of giving our youngsters good run-outs, allowing previously injured players to get match fit, and earning a few extra quid in the meantime.
Yes likewise, I was originally dismissive of the competition initially, but I can now see some of the advantages it offers.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes a lot of pluses there.

Legohead

Banned
Yes likewise, I was originally dismissive of the competition initially, but I can now see some of the advantages it offers.
We are getting excited about the EFL trophy because of prize money and how it presents a great opportunity to give youngsters a run out.

What we are not getting excited about is the prospect of having to play games in the competition and face the likes of Oxford United with half a first team squad or face the likes of West Ham's under 21's.

This is why it should be scrapped. Every competitive game of football the first team play should promote excitement and anticipation in the fans because they desperately want to win games that matter.

IndoMike

We are getting excited about the EFL trophy because of prize money and how it presents a great opportunity to give youngsters a run out.

What we are not getting excited about is the prospect of having to play games in the competition and face the likes of Oxford United with half a first team squad or face the likes of West Ham's under 21's.

This is why it should be scrapped. Every competitive game of football the first team play should promote excitement and anticipation in the fans because they desperately want to win games that matter.
I don't think anybody is getting excited about it : we're just saying that we can be more objective about it. Your first paragraph states some very good positives
When we used to have a reserve team nobody was excited about it, but it served a purpose

Oldsmobile-88

With the lack of a decent Reserve League to compete in,whatever the arguments about the format & merit of the EFL Cup it has proved invaluable for giving the youngsters in the squad some serious competitive game time(along with the U23 Cup)

I have seen them all.I enjoy seeing the excellent young prospects at the club playing with perhaps a bit more freedom than they would usually be allowed if they were pitched into league action.

It’s valuable learning time for them in a competition that ultimately earns the football club a few quid too, which in todays football world is a nice bonus.