• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

EFL Football suspended until 30 April

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yeah lots of issues, but like I say can't see football genuinely getting underway again until August/September minimum... think the reality is setting in for everyone now that this is a long haul thing.

Also what happens to next seasonwhen there's a second wave in the winter?

As for Bury... they were kicked from the EFL weren't they? Rather than just told they weren't competing?
Hopefully there’ll be a vaccine by next winter that will help to keep a lid on it...£££millions if not billions are being thrown at it worldwide so we live in hope 🤞

Matt Russell

Yes they were, but in a season that potentially didn't exist.
Just an example. If there was a catch all solution, we'd already know what's going to happen.

Oldsmobile-88

^^^^
David Wheeler made a good point on his Twitter saying that any games played would need valuable medical resources to cover them(even any behind closed doors)

The way the NHS will be in 3 months time is anyones guess.

Colesman Ballz

I agree, perhaps the simplest route, though not without problems.
Bury - Can you expel a Club in a season that didn't happen?
I don't think that we need to worry about Bury, haven't they just been finally wound up/liquidated and therefore cease to exist ?

Alistair20000

I don't think that we need to worry about Bury, haven't they just been finally wound up/liquidated and therefore cease to exist ?
I am not an assiduous follower of Bury legal proceedings but thought in early Feb the winding up petition was kicked out by the beak.

Oldsmobile-88

I am not an assiduous follower of Bury legal proceedings but thought in early Feb the winding up petition was kicked out by the beak.
I think it was delayed again...Nice little earner for the lawyers...They will always be paid if no one else is.

Alistair20000

I think it was delayed again...Nice little earner for the lawyers...They will always be paid if no one else is.
Yes them, accountants and insolvency practitioners.

Oldsmobile-88

Yes them, accountants and insolvency practitioners.
Indeed..I remember at work a few years ago,a goon of a consumer tried some sort of spurious claim against the company I worked for.I could not believe that they gave in and flashed a couple of grand.The reason being the company would easily win the claim,but would likely have to pay 5k for their own lawyers to do so without redress.
In a nutshell what is wrong with the legal & compensation culture in this country.

They will be rubbing their hands if the season is scrubbed.

Rosencrantz

^^^^
David Wheeler made a good point on his Twitter saying that any games played would need valuable medical resources to cover them(even any behind closed doors)

The way the NHS will be in 3 months time is anyones guess.
That's why I am not sure the games will take place behind closed doors. Until the general ok is given, football (and sport in general) cannot be taking away resource for purely business/entertainment reasons. Let alone putting players and officials at risk and therefore their families.

Then it comes a decision to end the current season where it stands whichever way, write off or cobbled results (and wait for the inevitable lawsuits) or pick up where we left it when it's ok to do so and try to work from there.

Colesman Ballz

Thought that I had heard recently, in that that they were unable to come up the cash required to to satisfy their CVA within the time limits, resulting in their liquidation, irrespective of the never endling court case. Might be wrong though, given all the sudden twists in this sorry, sordid affair ! Perhaps it might have been that it was only the CVA which "went for a trip down the Swanny" ?