• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

EFL Football suspended until 30 April

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just can’t see how anything other than a 46 match season can a fair to all clubs.
I was thinking more in terms of timings. How to fit a league season in to get back to the normal cycle of August to May at some point. Until we get a date when football starts again, no one knows how difficult or easy that will be. But finishing this season as is their desire then gives time to work out the options as to how best to achieve that.

Dannyred

If they said early June then that is a far more sensible restart date, never happening in April.

Nigel E

Just can’t see how anything other than a 46 match season can a fair to all clubs.
More, smaller divisions ( or a return to regionality ) so fewer games, for a season. Don't have the EFL Cup and Trophy, ditto.
Or could try a variant of what they already do in the Scottish Premiership.

You could have every team in the division playing each other once, and then split the table into top half and bottom half. Each half would then just play each other once again. Top half would play for promotion only, bottom half to avoid relegation. That would make it a 34-game season.

Not ideal obviously.

grecIAN Harris

I was thinking more in terms of timings. How to fit a league season in to get back to the normal cycle of August to May at some point. Until we get a date when football starts again, no one knows how difficult or easy that will be. But finishing this season as is their desire then gives time to work out the options as to how best to achieve that.
Well start on or around your birthday, like it used to be, will give you another three weeks breathing space for this season to start with.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
For all those suggesting extending contracts till the season is completed;

There will be plenty of clubs that cannot wait to get to the end of players contracts to jettison them from the wage bill. Contacts are legal, and they can't be forced upon an individual.

This is going to be extremely messy whatever they decide to do.

IBA

The season will be scrapped end of. New season potentially starting late spring/ Summer 2021 .

WXF

I find this latest suspension odd. Professional football should be setting a good example, but it can also deal with practical barriers better than other industries/ sports because of the money in it. The roads will be quiet for quite some time and there will be lots of idle coaches and drivers for the foreseeable future. Ban all group training, play matches behind closed doors, and have the away teams travel to the ground in a fleet of coaches, to reduce risk of contagion and enable staff to better engage in distancing. Our Government's initial response to the crisis was woeful and deeply irresponsible ("heard immunity") but, similarly, we shouldn't overcompensate.

Oldsmobile-88

I wonder how many teams in the EFL will be left if this situation goes on,as is likely past the end of June?

The bigger clubs are likely to survive of course.Many smaller clubs rely on benevolent owners who will be feeling the pinch from their businesses.

Any extra money distributed as promised will quickly disappear into the existing black holes in a few clubs accounts.

I don’t think we will see a FL/EFL that we have been accustomed to when things do eventually get back to normal.
There will be some sort of financial reset from the top down,that is for sure.

Red Devon

I wonder how many teams in the EFL will be left if this situation goes on,as is likely past the end of June?

The bigger clubs are likely to survive of course.Many smaller clubs rely on benevolent owners who will be feeling the pinch from their businesses.

Any extra money distributed as promised will quickly disappear into the existing black holes in a few clubs accounts.

I don’t think we will see a FL/EFL that we have been accustomed to when things do eventually get back to normal.
There will be some sort of financial reset from the top down,that is for sure.

[/https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lincoln-city-could-face-fight-3970663?utm_source=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Red Devon