• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

ECFC v Cambridge Official match day thread

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
What about the previous season?

I thought the gate was alright, incidentally.
The previous season was Yeovil, just over 5k but obviously inflated by away fans and higher local interest.

grecIAN Harris

God I need to get my eyes checked, I was convinced he'd been subbed at half time, I even looked through the team while they were waiting to kick off , it's not like he''s difficult to spot! Oh well better take some binoculars next time::$
I dunno. A bit like Ruben, I thought he looked a lot more slim line than in previous seasons.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Short YouTube highlights

[video=youtube;dnVQBDpcPjo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnVQBDpcPjo[/video]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnVQBDpcPjo

Pobbop

Not sure why people are writing off Holmes and Harley after being left out of one match. Tis uses a squad, they'll hopefully play a big part in the 50+ matches to come. Yes though, Harley needs to play as a an attacking central mid, otherwise put someone else on.

wouldn't be at all surprised if both started on Tuesday or Saturday. Tis won't be playing the same side for 3 matches in a week.

Last edited:

grecIAN Harris

Not sure why people are writing off Holmes and Harley after being left out of one match. Tis uses a squad, they'll hopefully play a big part in the 50+ matches to come. Yes though, Harley needs to play as a an attacking central mid, otherwise put someone else on.

wouldn't be at all surprised if both started on Tuesday or Saturday. Tis won't be playing the same side for 3 matches in a week.
The usual level of ignorance on Exeweb.

fred binneys head

Harley is a very disciplined footballer, that's why Tis likes him but also why he often appears ineffective. I wasn't there yesterday but can imagine Tis put him on knowing he would cover space on the left hand side and not get caught out of position, meaning Cambridge's attacking options were reduced and enabling us to see the game out, which we did.

I could be wrong though.

manc grecian

He came on the left hand side and barely moved from halfway in his own half. This invited the full backs on and we got deeper and deeper. It's not his fault, it was Tisdale who made the change. We needed someone who could run with or off the ball like Mcalinden was.

STURTZ

No you're right fred, I imagine that he brought Harley on to tighten things up in midfield with the aim of seeing the game out. He succeeded in that aim but I would have preferred to see us takes the game to Cambridge, absorb the pressure and catch them on the break, unfortunately we only have Wheeler and Mc Alinden capable of doing that now and they were both tiring. In my opinion Holmes would have given us more forward movement than Harley but 3 points dictates that the decision wasn't a terrible one.

I also think that Blunt coming on was a ineffectual but he got more game time......Reid is so much better though, he's looking fit and put in a great shift covering a lot of ground, held the ball up and even tackling back on occasions.

ECFC Music

Pleased to have got the 3 points today. Cambridge are a decent side who should go well this year,
What I took from today was:
Pym's distribution is woeful.. pleased his mistake didn't cost a goal. I'm sure he will get better with more games.
Good clean sheet. actually look very strong at the back. Hope to god we don't pick up any injuries though
I like the trio of Tilson, James and Taylor. it works well together, held it's own against a good Cambridge midfield, Their #8 Luke Berry is class.
Up front we look very good. Wheeler was kicked off the park (expect to see this a lot now he's targeted as our strongest player) Reid looked really fit and sharp, held the ball up really well. McAlinden will link brilliant in that 3 up front. has decent pace. Hope he has a good season.

We looked much weaker when Harley came on. he doesn't chase the ball and won't close down, has to be a connection between him coming on and Cambridge pinning us in our own half the last 20 minutes.
Very good team performance, glad to have 3 points. Roll on Tuesday
Correction - i think you meant Pym's distribution WAS terrible. To me his kicking is normally good and with both feet although one first time left foot effort, from a dodgy back pass, nearly cost us a goal.
Must disagree with you about the midfield trio. Tillson puts himself about and i have no complaint about his effort but James is a liability.Not only did he miss a glaring opportunity, which ok can happen to anyone but his distribution is deficient for a midfield playmaker.
To me the 3 plus features from yesterday were the performances of Sweeney, McAlinden,who seemed a yard faster and stronger than last season, and Reuben Reid whose mobility was superior to that of the previous term.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Oh no, we're 8th and outside the play offs. #TisdaleOut

;)
[ecfc]

Last edited: